- UCC Springboard+: Kieran Egan
- UCC’s new Hub serves as ‘one-stop-shop’ service for 26,000 students
- Interview: Ryan Tubridy chats politics, history and his love of the arts on UCC visit
- UCC Emergency Care Society gets hands-on with life-saving skills
- Fitzgibbon Cup glory for UCC as hurlers beat IT Carlow in thrilling final
- GatewayUCC bridging the gap for research-entrepreneurs
- Pocket-sized brain injury monitor could be a game-changer for infant health
- Future of Irish hockey in safe hands with rising star Hannah
- Dr Eithne Hunt: Healthy habits for body and mind
- From Architecture to Web Development
- Nine APC Microbiome researchers make prestigious ‘highly cited’ list
- UCC honours five exceptional alumni at annual awards ceremony
- UCC spotlights four of its brightest up-and-coming female career scientists
- Rich Ferrie leads an exciting new era for UCC Innovation
- UCC honours its graduates with the official naming of the Alumni Bridge
- New UCC series explains how university research impacts daily life
- UCC's rising sports stars presented with scholarships
- UCC ranked among top universities in Europe for teaching excellence
Times Higher Education Europe Teaching Rankings 2019
- UCC makes Green Flag history…again!
The first university in the world to be awarded a fourth Green Flag
- Blazing a trail
Professor Helen Whelton charts her path to success, from curious dentistry student to global award-winner
- A Summer’s Evening on the Quad hits the right note for Cork charities
The fundraising event is now in its 14th year
- A curious mind
Paul Ross on his love of science, his greatest moments of discovery, and the exciting next chapter at APC Microbiome Ireland
- Mind your microbiome: 9 ways to boost your gut health
In honour of World Microbiome Day
- UCC hosts top wind energy experts at Cork’s largest ever conference
Scientists and engineers gathered to discuss the future of renewable energy
- Lord David Puttnam makes a passionate case for careers in the arts
He features in the latest episode of UCC’s podcast, Plain Speaking
- Funding announced for UCC SFI Research Centres
- Beekeeping makes life sweeter for Cork kids
- Saving Ireland's seals with GPS
- UCC celebrates a stellar year in sport
- Tommy Fleming headlines A Summer's Evening on the Quad
Tickets available now
- UCC ranked as global leader for sustainable social and economic impact
Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings
- Former UCC President Michael Murphy becomes first ever Irish President of EUA
Professor Murphy served as UCC President for 10 years
- MaREI researcher returns from epic adventure in search of blue whales
Dr Ailbhe Kavanagh spent seven weeks in Antarctica
- Doireann Ní Ghríofa among six new members elected to Aosdána at UCC ceremony
Writer Doireann is a UCC alumna
- Former White House drug advisor goes 'inside America’s opioid crisis'
Keith Humphreys is the latest guest on UCC's official podcast, Plain Speaking
- UCC launches Sports Strategy
Pride on our chest, belief in our heart, sport in our bones.
- How Nicole Ryan is powering change after tragedy
- Brainwave ‘donation’ research offers promise for dementia treatment
Research and innovation
- Full-circle for Paul as UCC extends partnership with Cork City FC
A perfect match
- Praise for The Irish Revolution as 'Atlas' documentary airs on RTÉ
Atlas of the Irish Revolution
- Pastures new
UCC launches its Food Institute
- Making waves at MaREI
Ireland's National Ocean Test Facility opens
- Research spotlight: APC Microbiome Ireland
10 researchers among Highly Cited
- Spin-out success
Atlantia Food Clinical Trials expanding stateside
- Billy Morgan: Pride of Cork
Marking a decade of UCC Sigerson Cup football
- The future is bright for soccer's Captain Fantastic
- The next phase for rugby's rising star
- RTÉ to air 'Atlas' documentary
The next step for the Atlas of the Irish Revolution
- Top business talent share their secrets to success
CUBS Conference 2019
- Green roots and flying boots: Cork Chamber project showcases ‘future’ of Cork
Future Forms is part of Cork Chamber’s 200th anniversary celebrations
- CEO and camogie star Mary O'Connor is leading change for women in sport
Moving the goalposts
- Mary Robinson is the first guest on UCC’s new podcast
Plain Speaking is now available to stream
UCC celebrates a stellar year in sport
From silverware to the launch of the Sports Strategy, UCC has enjoyed a spectacular year in sport
To say that 2018-2019 was a great year for sport at UCC would be an understatement. Indeed, with a treasure-trove of silverware on display, along with the launch of the Sports Strategy, this year could only be described as spectacular.
And on May 14, at a special reception in the Mardyke Pavillion, President Patrick O’Shea acknowledged the hard work and dedication of the club members, coaches and staff who made this year so memorable for the UCC community and beyond.
Below are some of the highlights from a stellar year in sport at UCC.
The dream treble
It was a particularly special year for men’s GAA and soccer at UCC, with the senior teams claiming victory in the Sigerson Cup, Fitzgibbon Cup and Collingwood Cup.
A dream season was completed by the women’s soccer team, who won the Kelly Cup. Captain Ciara McNamara, who recently made her 100th appearance for Cork City FC, is also celebrating being selected for the World Student Games.
UCC’s Volleyball Club dominated in this year’s competitions, with both the men’s and women’s teams winning the Intervarsities. Both teams also claimed victory at the Munster Cup and Beach Volleyball Intervarsities, with the women’s team going on to win the bronze at the British Universities Intervarsities.
Higher and higher
UCC’s Trampoline Club enjoyed a very successful year, winning all three major competitions they entered: the Intervarsities, the Munster Cup, and the Irish Student Trampoline Open. Several of the club’s members claimed gold, silver and bronze in individual categories.
UCC’s Ultimate Frisbee Club can look back on this year with pride, with both the men’s and women’s teams claiming gold, silver and bronze medals at the Intervarsities; and coming in second and third, respectively, at the Trinity Tea Party.
Several players were acknowledged at the Annual IFDA Awards, including Kate Crowley, who was named Female College Player of the Year.
The Rowing Club enjoyed success upon success this year, across regional and national tournaments. The men’s teams claimed first place in a series of events in the Cork Regatta, going on to win four golds in the National Rowing Championships.
Both the men’s and women’s teams dominated in the Home International Regatta, with UCC also winning Best Club at the National Indoor Rowing Championship.
Quercus Scholar Mary Fitzgerald put in a phenomenal performance at the IWAS Games 2019, winning gold in her category for discus, javelin, and shot-put, setting a new Irish record in the latter.
UCC’s Fencing Club put in stellar performances once again this year, with Kevin MacSweeney and Lillias Healy claiming third as part of the Irish team competing at the Four Nations Tournament.
Club members claimed a slew of gold, silver and bronze medals at competitions throughout the year, including the Irish Open and the Intermediate Championships, as well as the Intervarsities.
The Tae Kwon Do Club certainly left their mark on the sport over 2018-2019. The club’s teams claimed 28 medals in the Mixed Martial Arts Intervarsities, including gold in the team event. They earned a further 30 medals – including the gold in team sparring, and the silver in team pattern – at the Tae Kwon Do Intervarsity Championship.
Club members Anya Curran and Emer Curran also placed third in sparring, in the International Tae Kwon Do Federation World Championships.
A special congratulations to the players, coaches and staff members from each and every club.
Follow this link for more information about Sport at UCC.