- Bank of Ireland and UCC announce partnership for Quercus Talented Students’ Programme up to end 2026.
- Olympic Gold Medal winner Paul O’Donovan, disability activist Joanne O’Riordan, and Young Offenders actress Jennifer Barry among present and past beneficiaries.
- Scholarship recognises excellence in Academic, active citizenship, creative and performing arts, Innovation/Entrepreneurship and Sport
News and Views
27 Sep 2022
26 Sep 2022
- Players at Cork City’s men’s and women’s teams to enjoy equal access to UCC scholarships, facilities until at least 2027.
- Over 20 players have benefited from UCC and Cork City partnership since 2012.
- UCC logo to appear on sleeve of Cork City men’s team Home and Away jerseys for the next five years.
23 Sep 2022
On Culture Night 2022, University College Cork (UCC) launches the first Arts and Culture Plan in its history.
The four year plan – Igniting UCC’s Creative Potential - will work to harness and activate the University’s cultural, artistic, heritage and creative assets, and champion transdisciplinary arts research and new models of engagement.Read more
23 Sep 2022
- University College Cork researchers discover revolutionary method of analysing newborn babies’ brainwaves.
- AI-assisted approach uses sound, rather than visual images, to analyse brainwaves (EEG monitoring).
- New approach is more accessible to a wider cohort of medical professionals and has the potential to make EEG monitoring more prevalent in medical settings - including those in disadvantaged communities.
- “A potential game-changer in the EEG monitoring industry as the new method brings both accuracy and speed while requiring no training to be adopted in clinical settings."
23 Sep 2022
Kilcrea Abbey provided the stunning backdrop for budding writers to take in a unique reading of an award-winning book from a University College Cork alumna.Read more
22 Sep 2022
A research team based at University College Cork is seeking volunteers from the farming community in Ireland as part of its study into a potential link between the use of pesticides and Parkinson’s Disease.Read more
21 Sep 2022
- University College Cork announces that its Environmental Research Institute’s building on the Lee Road is to be named after Ellen Hutchins – ‘The Botanist of Bantry Bay’.
- Hutchins – recognised as Ireland’s first female botanist – discovered a number of plants, inspired a novel, and has species named in her honour.
- Artefacts and documents go on display in dedicated Ellen Hutchins Reading Room.
20 Sep 2022
- Researchers at APC Microbiome Ireland have identified a drug that increases resilience to chronic stress.
- Major discovery could lead to more effective treatments for anxiety disorders and depression.
16 Sep 2022
- Michael Bradley, former Connacht, Edinburgh and Zebre coach, has been announced as UCC RFC’s new Head Coach
- Former Irish internationals, Ken O’Connell and Paul McCarty, will join Bradley’s coaching group, along with ex-Munster fly-half Scott Deasy.
- UCC RFC will begin their AIL season against Malone on 1 October.
13 Sep 2022
- New study finds that the position of the continents plays a vital role in the distribution of life-supporting oxygen in our oceans.
- The movement of the continents over many millions of years could have triggered mass extinction events and influenced the evolution of marine life.