- In less than one year, 1 million single-use plastic cups have been saved from landfill.
- ‘Plastic Free UCC’ highlights the impact of small, everyday choices.
- UCC set sector leading targets in its sustainability and climate action plan.
30 Nov 2023
29 Nov 2023
- The funding will bring together academics, industry and policymakers across the Irish Government, UK Government and Northern Ireland Government Departments to collaborate on common challenges such as food sustainability and climate change.
- Professor Mairead Kiely is the Nutrition and Health Platform lead in the Co-Centre for Sustainable and Resilient Food Systems.
- Dr Jean O’Dwyer will lead the Sustainable Communities and Livelihoods Research Challenge within the Climate+ Co-Centre.
28 Nov 2023
• New device awarded €6.7m to develop a platform to detect abnormal brain activity in infants soon after birth.Read more
• The technology assesses all newborns for signs of brain injury in less than 15 minutes
• Early detection and intervention are critical for improved outcomes and quality of life.
27 Nov 2023
• Former Irish President and Chair of The Elders Mary Robinson warns world leaders to show more ambition on the eve of COP28 summit.Read more
• Ireland not on track to meet carbon budget targets
• Mrs Robinson makes comments ahead of appearance at Sustainable Futures Forum in UCC.
24 Nov 2023
- Virtual reality game aims to increase men’s awareness of testicular diseases.
- This is the first time virtual reality gaming has been used to promote men’s health.
- The study was conducted in collaboration with nine GAA clubs in Ireland.
23 Nov 2023
University College Cork (UCC) is sending a delegation of students, academics, and researchers to the upcoming COP 28 global summit in Expo City, Dubai.Read more
22 Nov 2023
- An independent team of national and international experts conducted a comprehensive review of UCC.
- The university was recognised for its activities across sustainability, student supports and engagement with industry and society.
21 Nov 2023
- The state-of-the-art facility is located on the ground floor of the new Crow’s Nest development.
- The centre will host a full range of health and well-being services for students.
20 Nov 2023
- Professor Paul Ross is the 2023 Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) Researcher of the Year.
- Professor Frank Peters, Tyndall National Institute, receives the SFI Industry Partnership Award.
- The SFI Awards celebrate outstanding researchers funded by SFI who have contributed greatly to scientific progress or had a highly significant scientific breakthrough.
20 Nov 2023
- INFANT researchers are part of international collaboration highlighting benefits of deferred cord clamping in preterm infants.
- Waiting for two minutes to clamp the umbilical cord of a premature baby soon after birth could significantly reduce the risk of death relative to immediate clamping.
- Worldwide almost 13 million babies are born prematurely each year and close to 1 million die shortly after birth.