UCC in the world university rankings
Explore UCC's progress across different world university rankings
Institutional Level Rankings
1. Times Higher Education World Impact Ranking
UCC has improved its position and is now 8th most impactful university in the world, in this global ranking. This is an evidence-based ranking which examines the impact the university is having, through the prism of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Our score of 96.0 (out of 100) puts us in the top 1% of universities in the world for impact.
As well as our overall score and rank, we have also performed remarkably well across the indivdual UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with UCC ranking in the Top 20 across 7 of the 17 SDGs (last year we ranked in the Top 20 across 5 of the 17 SDGs):
|Life on land||3||92.9|
|Responsible consumption and production||3||90.3|
|Life below water||4||92.2|
|Clean water and sanitation||6||80.2|
|Sustainable cities and communities||13||88.2|
|Partnership for the goals||17||94.8|
This ranking is particularly noteworthy in that not only does it look at data and metrics, it also looks at the impact the university is having on society and the world around us.
2. QS World University Ranking
UCC continues to progress up the rankings in the prestigious QS World University Ranking 2021, climbing 24 places to 286th in the world improving its score in the process. 1,600 universities are considered and 1,000 make the final published rank. It measures performance across indicators including academic reputation, employer reputation, student faculty ratio, citation, per faculty, proportion of international faculty and students.
At 154 globally, the International Faculty indicator is the strongest for UCC. UCC has been the most improved Irish university for the past two years of this ranking.
3. Times Higher Education World University Ranking
UCC maintained its rank of 301-350 in THE’s flagship ranking, while improving its score and national position. 1,900 universities are considered and 1,527 made the final rank which examines performance across five pillars: Teaching, Research, Citations, Industry Income and International Outlook.
UCC is the top Irish university for research impact as measured by this ranking.
4. ARWU – Academic Ranking of World Universities (Shanghai Ranking).
The first and most prestigious of the university rankings. UCC maintained its position in the 401-500 band and improved its overall score in this ranking, which is confined to the top 2,000 universities globally.
UCC is the top Irish university for highly cited researchers in this ranking.
5. US News – Best Global Universities.
UCC improved its position 14 places to 437 and improved its score in the most recent cycle of this global ranking. This ranking assesses 1,800 universities around the world, with Books being UCC’s strongest indicator.
Is a user-based approach to ranking universities which was formed from an EC-funded project. UCC receives a score-card each year and the most recent cycle saw UCC received 15 A and 9 B scores across a set of 29 performance indicators, the most A or B scores of any Irish university.
A Spanish Government developed ranking with a primary purpose to promote scientific research, UCC is up 54 places to 313 in the world in webometrics. It looks at 12,000 universities and third-level institutions world-wide under Impact, Excellence and Openness.
8.Sunday Times League Table
UCC ranks 2nd in Ireland after TCD in this national ranking of Ireland’s third level institutions. This ranking looks across 8 different indicators and takes data from the CAO, HEA, and National Student Survey among other sources.
UCC leads the sector in Ireland on Graduate Employability and on Progression Rate from 1st to 2nd year, within this ranking.
Niche / Specialised Rankings
1. UI Green Metric
UCC is 9th in the world for sustainability. This ranking measures the promotion of sustainability across 800 universities around the world and UCC has retained a top-10 place for the past five years in a row.
2.QS Graduate Employability Rankings
UCC improved its position to the 251-300 band from 301-500 band in this ranking in 2019. The ranking which examines the university’s initiatives around securing employment for their graduates was suspended by QS in 2020 due to Covid-19 and is due to recommence in 2021.
3.Financial Times Executive Global Rankings
- IMI has cemented its place in the Customised Executive Education Global Rankings for a 12th successive year. This year IMI is ranked 66th in the world for customised executive education, and 10th in the UK & Ireland.
- IMI retains its place in the Open Enrolment Global Rankings, for a 3rd successive year. IMI has maintained its position in 67th place globally and is ranked 7th in the UK & Ireland for open enrolment programmes.
Subject / Discipline Rankings
1.QS World University Rankings by Subject
UCC produced another strong performance in the latest QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021. We've been named as one of the world's top universities for the study of 20 subjects according to the latest ranking published in March 2021. UCC is ranked in the top 50 universities for one discipline and top 100 (Nursing at number 49) for a further two disciplines (Agriculture and Forestry, and Law at 57 and 100 respectively).
- 6 Subjects in the top 200: UCC is ranked in the top 200 for 6 subjects
- UCC disciplines that improved in this year's ranking include Nursing, Law, Medicine and Modern Languages while newly ranked UCC disciplines this year include the aforementioned Agriculture and Forestry, and Accounting and Finance.
- In Academic Reputation, UCC’s best performance is in Nursing, in which it scores 71.8.
- In Employer Reputation, our best performance came in Biological Sciences where it earned a score of 74.3.
- Agriculture and Forestry is the subject in which UCC earned the highest score (96.1) for Citations Per Paper, while Pharmacy and Pharmacology (87.3) was our best performing subject on the H-Index. 13 of the 20 scored over 70 on citations, 9 of the 20 scored over 70 on h-index.
- With 151 ranked programs from 10 institutions in this year’s subject rankings, Ireland is the 23rd most-represented country in the world.
2. Global Ranking of Academic Subjects – Shanghai
More and more UCC subjects are featuring in the prestigious Shanghai Ranking of global subjects. Fifteen different UCC subjects make the exclusive ranks in the most recent cycle, where
- Food Science & Technology (43),
- Nursing (Top 75),
- Dentistry (Top 100),
- Clinical Medicine (top 150),
- Biotechnology (Top 150), and
- Public Health (Top 150)
are all at the top end of these global rankings.
3. US News – Global Subject Rankings
Nine different UCC disciplines have made the most recent version of the US new Best global subjects. Some of the top performers were:
- Agricultural Sciences (93),
- Biotechnology and Applied Microbiology (105),
- Microbiology (114),
- Neuroscience and Behaviour (144).
4.Times Higher Education World Subject Rankings
Rather than rank specific subjects, THE publishes rankings across eleven broad subject areas each October. UCC is ranked in 176-200 for Clinical/Pre-clinical & health and for Life Sciences respectively. Each of Education, Business & Economics and Computer Science improved their position in the latest published ranking.