Frequently Asked Questions and Policy Section

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions HR Research


 1. PPS Number Queries:

How to get a PPS number and apply for a PPS number?

To get a PPS Number, you must provide evidence of:

  • your identity
  • why you need a PPS Number
  • your Irish address

See this link to information from the Irish Government


 2. Bank Accounts:

The Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) makes all electronic payments across the euro area as easy as electronic payments within one country. SEPA includes 36 countries – the 27 EU member states (including countries which do not use the euro) plus the UK, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, San Marino, Andorra, Monaco and the Vatican City State.  You cannot be obliged by a payer or payee to maintain a bank account in any particular country to make or receive payments. For example, a French person working in Ireland could have their Irish employer pay their salary directly to their French account and use that account to pay direct debits and bills in Ireland.


For more information, please see these links:


If you are a non-EU citizen and need an Irish Bank Account HR Research will require the following to prepare a letter for your preferred bank:

  1. Your full name
  2. Irish Address
  3. Home Country Address
  4. Date of Birth


 3. Medical Insurance:

As a UCC staff member you are covered for significant illness and accident only.  UCC does not cover employees for day-to-day medical expenses, GP visits, etc.  To get this level of cover you need to take out a private medical insurance policy.  Some of these policies cover day to day medical expenses but are unlikely to cover costs for medicines.

Here is a link to private medical insurance in Ireland and you can select the policy which suits you best. 

For medicine, there is a drugs payment scheme in Ireland, which allows for an Applicant to recoup some of your costs per month (Excess of €80 per month). 

Please note: If your contract of employment is less than 6 months, you may not be included in the Income Continuous Protection for a significant illness cover.  Please check with Kathy O’Connell



4. How to Register Your Employment with UCC / Avoid Emergency Tax


 Please download this helpful guide with easy steps How to Register your Employment with UCC

Please note below:


5. Hosting Agreements and Visas


Non-EU/EEA nationals require permission to work and study in Ireland. Additionally, some non-EU/EEA nationals require an entry visa to enter the country.

A visa is a form of pre-entry clearance which allows for travel to Ireland. It does not guarantee permission to enter Ireland. Permission to enter Ireland is granted by an Immigration Officer at the port of entry.

However, non-EU researchers applying for research positions in accredited research organisations can use a fast-track work permit (Hosting Agreement) scheme. This allows the host research organisation to employ the researcher without the need for a work permit.

See link to Information on Hosting Agreements





Department of Human Resources - HR Research

Ground Floor, Block E, Food Science Building, UCC