Academic Promotions & Establishment
Regulations on Promotion to Senior Lecturer and on Promotion to Professor (Scale 2)
We are pleased to announce that the Regulations on Promotion to Senior Lecturer and on Promotion to Professor (Scale 2) have now been welcomed and approved by UMTO, Academic Council and Governing Body.
We are pleased to advise that there will be a call for promotion to both Senior Lecturer and Professor (Scale 2) over the 2018/2019 academic year, and again during the 2019/2020 academic year.
Provision will be made for up to 40 promotions to Senior Lecturer and up to 20 promotions to Professor (Scale 2) in the first round.
We expect the call for promotion to Senior Lecturer to issue on the 7th of January 2019, with a call for promotion to Professor (Scale 2) to issue thereafter.
Please note that this will now be a two-step application process, with the first step requiring submission of an Expression of Interest and a concise five page CV in order to establish a prima facie case for promotion and to be shortlisted for full application stage.
The application process is now a paperless, online process and all applications will be submitted through the e-recruitment portal.
Briefing sessions for academic staff have been organised and will take place on the following dates:
- Monday 7th January 2019 from 2.15pm to 4.15pm in the O’Rahilly Building, Room 156 (ORB 156)
- Tuesday 15th January 2019 from 12 Noon to 2.00pm in the Brookfield Health Science Complex, Room 225 (BHSC 225)
- Wednesday 16th January 2019 from 2.00pm to 4.00pm in the Western Gateway Building, Room GO8 (WGB G08)
Due to the limited number of spaces available at each Briefing Session, potential candidates will need to secure a place by contacting Ms Claire Raissian at Claire.Raissian@ucc.ie
The briefing sessions will provide an overview of the revised promotions process and advice on making an application under the set procedures. There will also be an opportunity for Questions and Answers at these Briefing Sessions or alternatively, potential applicants may wish to submit any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will answer those at the sessions.
As we expect a large number of queries, please be advised that all email enquiries received regarding the Senior Lecturer scheme will be addressed during the briefing sessions. These sessions will be recorded and will be made available on the HR Webpages
We look forward to updating you further in the near future.
John O’Halloran and Barry O’Brien
Report of the Committee to Review Academic Promotion Schemes
The Committee to Review the University Academic Promotion and Progression Schemes was established on the 24th October 2016 with the following Terms of Reference to:
- Review the current academic progression and promotion schemes in terms of procedure, process and outcomes; consult with relevant stakeholders and obtain views on the nature of current and optimal progression and promotion processes, and make recommendations for revised schemes;
- Carry out national and international benchmarking to examine learning and examples of best practice (including under Athena Swan) from other Higher Education Institutions in the area of academic progression and promotion.
Further information concerning academic establishment and promotion can be obtained from:
Promotions and OD Advisor
Department of Human Resources,
Phone +353 21 490 3057