e-Learning blended with Workshops 2020
The Post Doc Hub provides access to a suite of 5 Modules to assist you with your professional training and development.
For information regarding the content of any of the training sessions please contact Mary O'Regan at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Developing and Consolidating your Research Career
This course enables participants to identify strategies, tools, opportunities and people to help establish themselves in their research career, set realistic goals for career development and understand the importance of measuring progress towards them.
- Career pathways
- Enhancing your track record
- Building breadth and depth in your career strategy
- Increasing your public profile
- Contributing to the development of the discipline (including peer review)
- Monitoring your development and success
2. Funding your Research
The course helps participants gain a good understanding of the complete grant application process, an awareness of factors that influence funding decisions and and potential pitfalls. It also demonstrate the skills necessary to write applications for grants and other types of funding (fellowships, contracts, philanthropic support) that are compelling and competitive to help secure funding for your research.
- Competitive contexts
- Planning your grant (choosing a topic, team, source of funding, estimating costs and time, collaborators, pods with specific national grant information)
- Writing the grant (creating a persuasive argument, demonstrating impact, tips for good grant writing)
- Managing your grant requirements (reporting, contract and IPR, budget management, university requirements)
- Applying for research fellowships
3. Communicating your Research
This course helps participants understand the key principles that underpin all effective communication, identify the most appropriate channels and develop a tailored communication strategy that takes account of your personal style and circumstances.
- Your communication strategy
- Publishing Dealing with the media
- Internal communications
- Digital tools and approaches
4. Statistics for Researchers
The goal of this programme is to strengthen your ability to use statistics when conducting your research work. It teaches how to plan and execute a strategy for data analysis which explores and answers specific example research questions.
This programme is also deliberately designed so that the key statistical skills learned here are transferable to other areas for use in your subsequent career.
5. Research Integrity
The Research Integrity (RI) programme is designed to provide postgraduate students, new faculty and research staff with a basic understanding of responsible research practices in their area of study. Researchers are expected to set high standards for integrity in all aspects of their work. Some, unfortunately, do not. Small numbers engage in major misconduct; larger numbers from time to time fail to follow best practices.
The first step towards responsible practice is knowing what is expected. Research is a complex activity, directed by many rules, guidelines and so-called ‘commonly accepted practices’. Researchers are not routinely introduced to best practices, making it difficult to know what is expected. This is particularly true for researchers in training, new faculty and research staff.
The RI programme provides a common framework and content for learning and thinking about responsible professional behaviour in research. If adopted widely at your institution, it will help ensure that your researchers:
- Know the basics
- Know now where to get more information
- Know your institution’s expectations for integrity and responsibility in research.
These modules are accessed through CANVAS. To request logins to access this suite of modules please contact Marykate.email@example.com
Epigeum On-Line Training
What is Epigeum?
Epigeum is the leading provider of exceptional online courses designed to help universities s transform their core activities – in teaching, research, studying and leadership and management.
Their courses are developed through global collaboration of experts and partner universities and shared by subscription. They are produced by an in-house team of editorial and online professionals and used by leading institutions across the world.
To find out more link to Epigeum