Information of Supervisors
Below are links to recordings from the viva workshop for staff who are supervising doctoral students which was held "live" via MS Teams on Thursday 4th February 2021.
- Navigating the research examination process (Danielle Heffernan, Graduate Studies Office)
- Selecting the examiners and their role (Prof. Liam Marnane, School of Engineering)
- The role of the supervisor in the examination and preparing your student (Dean of Graduate Studies)
- Life after the viva, advising students on careers (Deirdre Parker, Career Services)
- Applying for Postdoc Funding (Niamh Mundow, Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation)
- The end of the viva and the reports. What can go wrong? Appeals and problems (Prof. Conor O’Mahony, School of Law)
- Final thesis submission and access categories (Eoghan Ó Carragáin, Boole Library)
Postgraduate Student Funding 2022/23
The Postgraduate Student Funding guidelines for 2022/23 can now be downloaded from Postgraduate Student Funding Guidelines.
The following information may be of assistance to administrators and students who are currently in the process of completing UCC Postgraduate Studentship and research grant forms for the 2022/23 academic year.
- PAYMENT AUTHORISATION FORM (P3 FORM): To be completed by the department and forwarded by email to the Payroll Team by the deadline of the 15th of the month of first payment. In addition, for research grant payments, a copy of the P3 form should be forwarded to the Research Grants & Contracts Office.
- SCHOLARSHIP EXEMPTION DECLARATION FORM (P5 FORM): To be completed by the student, a copy taken for departmental files and the original should be forwarded by the department by email to the Payroll Team, UCC. It is important to advise the Payroll Team by email if the P5 form has been completed after submission of the P3 form.
- PAYPATH FORM (P6 FORM): To be completed.
Every registered postgraduate student who is either on a UCC Studentship or is externally funded should be returned to the Studentship Payroll Team (email addresses below) on a P3 form for the coming academic year 2022/23, regardless of whether a P3 form was submitted during the last academic year.
A copy of the P3 form should, in addition, be forwarded to the Research Grants & Contracts Office to Murphy Coughlan, Rachel firstname.lastname@example.org for all research grant payments.
All of the above forms can be downloaded from the webpage here.
Studentship Payroll Team:
Jess O’Regan email@example.com
Christina Lilley firstname.lastname@example.org
Eirin O’Connell email@example.com
Engaging Conversations for PhD Supervision Workshop
The College of Medicine & Health Graduate Studies is hosting a workshop for Supervisors on Engaging Conversations for PhD Supervision with Professor Emeritus Prof Eileen Savage.
This workshop will take place over two full days, on Friday 3rd and Friday 10th February 2023, in WGB_226. Complete the form here to register.
The aim of this interactive workshop is to enable PhD supervisors engage in productive conversations with research students. Drawing on neuroscience, the nature of productive and unproductive conversations are explored. Core skills of listening and questioning for support, challenge and depth during supervision are offered. The tGrow model is offered as a tool for growth in progressing students. Challenging conversations that can arise during supervision are critically examined with reference to dynamics of relationships, and strategies for addressing these challenges. This course will be experiential with opportunities to practice various skills and models, and will also structure triad practice of the tGrow model between Day 1 & 2.