Mardyke Arena, UCC Squad/Athlete Strength and Conditioning Gym
The UCC Capital Projects Office have recently completed the development of the 420m2 Squad / Athlete Strength & Conditioning Gym at the Mardyke Arena UCC. This project was a pilot project for low carbon design and construction.
This facility will meet the needs of:
- All UCC focus teams and sports
- All UCC Quercus Sports Scholarship students
- International and Olympic athletes attending UCC
- Support the Mardyke Arena UCC 'Emerging Talent Programme'
- Align with the Sport Ireland and The Sport Ireland Institute 'High Performance Plan' to work with 3rd Level Institutions in establishing 'Centre of Excellence'
Linked to existing Mardyke Arena building, the gym is a single storey facility designed to minimise the visual impact, carbon footprint and ongoing operational costs.
A proprietary Low Carbon Analysis software has been used to compare building fabric options to minimise embodied carbon in the construction. The roof structure is a lattice of glulam beams combined with a cross laminated timber (CLT) structure which will provide the users with 420m2 of free space unobstructed from columns.
The project will utilise as many off-site construction methods as possible due to the restricted nature of the site.
Project Team UCC
|Tim Cronin||Capital Projects Officer|
|Architect||O'Connell Mahon Architect|
|Fire Safety||Cantwell Keogh & Associates|
|Mechanical & Electrical||Malachy Walsh & Partners|
|Quantity Surveyor||Michael Barrett Partners|
|Building Contractor||Summerhill Construction|