- Office of the Director
- Capital Projects Office
- Buildings Office
- General Services Office
- Room Bookings
- Commuting, Access & Parking
- Green Campus
- TDS Access Control
- Heritage Services
RTÉ Nationwide at The Honan Chapel
On 3rd March 2021, UCC Heritage Services was part of the filming of objects from the collection of the Honan Trust by RTÉ Nationwide (aired 12 May 2021). The Honan Chapel is currently undergoing restoration. Work commenced in November 2020 with FMP Architects and conservation specialist Joe Costello as main contractor with specialist restoration techniques to renovate the renowned Harry Clarke and Sarah Purser stained glass windows. The project is due for completion in summer 2021.
UCC graduate and expert on the Honan Chapel and objects, Virginia Teehan (CEO The Heritage Council), spoke about the beauty and importance of the entire project as conceived by Sir John R. O'Connell (solicitor and executor of the Honan Estate) and Sir Bertram C. A. Windle (President, UCC) in 1916. Virginia has written extensively about the Honan Chapel and objects: particularly the history and catalogue in The Honan Chapel: a golden vision (Cork University Press) and organised two conferences (The Honan Chapel Centenary Symposium in 19-20 November 2016 hosted by UCC and the Governors of the Honan Trust; and while she was Director of the Heritage Office, UCC, in January 2000), as well as being co-curator of an international exhibition, 'The Arts and Crafts Movement: Making It Irish', 6 February-5 June 2016 at the McMullen Museum, Boston College, USA, with accompanying catalogue and ebook.
The Honan Chapel was designed as a unified whole and is a unique outcome from the Irish Arts and Crafts movement. Watch the video produced by Boston College for the 'Making It Irish' exhibition at which many objects from the Honan Chapel collection were exhibited:
National Heritage Week 2020
UCC Heritage Services have taken part in one of UCC's contributions to a National Heritage Week 2020 project. This year, due to COVID-19-related restrictions on social gatherings, Heritage Week is taking place online. This year’s theme is ‘Heritage and Education: Learning from our Heritage’. The Crawford Observatory, in the heart of UCC, is the focus of this project. Margaret Lantry, Acting University Curator, spoke about the place of the building on campus and how Dr William Kirby Sullivan, the second President of Queen's College, Cork, set out his renewal of the University in the 1870s. Funded by philanthropy, this observatory is unique in Ireland for the remarkable state of preservation of the three telescopes that it holds and also the original condition of the building. It is also important for its design. Margaret has written about the historical context for the creation of the Crawford Observatory UCC in National Heritage Week 2020 [PDF] with information about the telescopes, including photos, maps and links for further information.
In the film Prof. Paul Callanan, of the Department of Physics in UCC, contributes his expert knowledge about Howard Grubb, the maker of the telescopes, and also about the instruments themselves. It was very exciting to help to open the shutter over the transit telescope. Paul also opens the dome that covers the equatorial telescope.
Thanks to Eoin Hahessy, Michael Tobin and Eoin O'Sullivan of UCC Audio Visual Media Services for the filming.
Culture Night 2019
The Crawford Observatory and its history
On Friday, September 20th 2019, there will be more than 100 venues across Cork city hosting a range of free events to mark Culture Night. In UCC alone events ranging from talks, tours and creative workshops will be presented in many departments, ranging from English through to the Library, Music to the Visitor Centre.
Margaret Lantry, Acting University Curator, Heritage Services, Buildings & Estates, will present a talk about the background and history of the Crawford Observatory. Wearing her MA gown, Margaret will host her event in the historic main quadrangle in W6, one of the original lecture theatres of UCC – built in 1849, while the Observatory was opened in 1880.
She will present a brief history of the Crawford Observatory: the people: President W. K. Sullivan, local businessman and philanthropist W. H. Crawford and Ireland's premier scientific instrument maker Howard Grubb; and the building itself. Lots of photos will be shown of the building and maps! Margaret will also show original glass plate negatives of a partial lunar eclipse taken in 1917.