Space Allocation Committee
The function of the Buildings & Estates Office in the allocation of space is to analyse needs and use, to guide decisions on competing demands for physical space and to ensure the effective and efficient implementation of Buildings Committee policy decisions on the allocation of space.
Applications for additional space originate from Department/Unit Heads and are initially directed to the Buildings & Estates Office and evaluated and analysed by the Space Sub Committee of the Buildings Committee on the basis of information compiled by the Buildings & Estates Office.
The B & E Office is required to fulfill the following functions in the process of allocating space:
- Collect appropriate information to enable request for space to be evaluated
- Outline options for the Space Sub Committee of the Buildings Committee
- Implement decisions and deliver space to new occupants
- Maintain register of space allocations
- Maintain register of temporary space allocations
- Maintain register of requests for space which remain unresolved
On receipt of application for additional space from a department the following further information is requested:
- Academic justification (supported by relevant Dean) for the request.
- Inventory of space currently allocated to department
- Name and status of staff occupying each office area
- Relevant Staff FTEs
- Relevant Student FTEs
- Resource Statement submitted with request to Academic Council for the sanctioning of new post (in event of office space requested for newly appointed staff)
In some instances meetings may be necessary between B & E Staff and Heads of Departments to clarify the needs of the Department and to outline the options available to meet their needs.
Equivalent space options, which may meet the department's requirement, are identified from newly vacated space, rented accommodation, return of temporarily allocated space, space vacated by staff on sabbatical, etc. and presented to the Committee together with information requested from the individual departments. The Sub Committee makes recommendations on the basis of information provided and presents to the Buildings Committee for endorsement.
Decisions on the allocation of space are communicated to Departments and the necessary transfer of furniture; provision of new furniture, data connections, keys, etc. is coordinated within the different sections of the Buildings & Estates Office.
Details of Space Sub Committee minutes as follows,
Space Sub Committee - Current Members 2013/2014
- Director of Buildings & Estates - Mr. Mark Poland
- Head of College - College of Arts, Celtic Studies & Social Sciences (CACSSS) - Professor Caroline Fennell
- Head of College - Business and Law - Professor Ursula Kilkelly
- Head of College - Science, Engineering & Food Science (SEFS) - Professor Patrick Fitzpatrick
- Head of Student Experience - Dr. Ian Pickup
- Registrar and Senior Vice President Academic - Professor Paul Giller (Chair)
- Vice President for Research and Innovation - Professor Anita Maguire
- Head of College of Medicine & Health - Professor John Higgins
- Administrative Manager Buildings & Estates - Ms. Niamh McGettrick Cronin (Space Sub Committee Secretary)