College Postgraduate Student Committee
The College of SEFS Postgraduate Student Committee will comprise of one member of each academic unit in the College, Tyndall National Institute, ERI, MAREI and Teagasc appointed by the postgraduate students.
- School of Physics
- School of Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Science
- School of Chemistry
- School of Computer Science and Information Technology
- School of Engineering and Architecture
- School of Food and Nutritional Science
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Microbiology
- Tyndall National Institute
Terms of Reference
The role of the College of SEFS Postgraduate Student Committee is to provide leadership for postgraduate students and to support the College of SEFS Graduate Studies Committee (GSC) in the fulfilment of the graduate studies aspects of the College Strategic Plan.
This Term of Reference is effective from October 2022 and continues until October 2023.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership for postgraduate student support and enhancement of graduate student experience.
- Have oversight of the mechanisms for gathering and hearing postgraduate student feedback and guide the appropriate framework for postgraduate student feedback and engagement within the College.
- Represent PG students at monthly College GSC meetings and provide an opportunity for students to raise issues and for the Committee to provide a response.
- Working with academic unit GSC to develop and implement the strategic plan for graduate studies in the academic unit and College.
- Acting as an interface between the postgraduate students and the Head of Graduate Studies and College Graduate Studies Committee.
- Advising on the enhancement of the working environment for graduate students.Publicising and promoting graduate education to the wider student and academic community.
- Working within the general organisational structure of the College, acting as an interface to postgraduate students, the academic units and the College, the remit of Postgraduate Student Committee includes:
- All Meetings will be chaired.
- A meeting quorum will be 7 members of the committee.
- Members must arrange a nominee to attend in their absence.
- Decisions made by consensus. If not possible, the Chair makes the final decision.
- Meetings will be held monthly for one hour (max) at an agreed specified location. If required, subgroup meetings will be arranged outside of these times at a time convenient to subgroup members.
- Members of the College or the wider University may be invited to attend for specific agenda items at meetings of the College Graduate Studies Committee to provide advice and assistance.
- Report in the first instance to the Head of Graduate Studies and through the Head of Graduate Studies to the College Management Team.
- An annual report from the Postgraduate Student Committee will be submitted to the College of SEFS Graduate Studies Committee at the end of each academic year.
Amendments, Modification or Variations
The Terms of Reference may be amended, varied or modified in writing after consultation and agreement by committee members and the Head of Graduate Studies in the College of SEFS.