Course Name: Business English
Day(s)/time of class: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 18:00-20:00 (Irish Time)
Course duration: 24 hours in class + self-study and teacher feedback
Tuesday 04 July to Thursday 10 August 2023 (6 weeks) Course cost: €300*+
Tuesday 15 August to Thursday 07 September 2023 (4 weeks) Course cost: €200*+
Level(s): B2 - C1
*Returning students receive a loyalty discount. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
+UCC staff and students should email email@example.com to enquire about special offers.
This course takes a developmental approach to learning and honing language skills in the business world.
The course includes:
- Simulations and roleplays
- Writing tasks
- Authentic listening
- Field-related reading tasks with assignments
- Relevant vocabulary
- Situational language tailored to the context
By the end of this course, you will:
- Have learnt vocabulary related to the topics of sales, meetings and negotiation
- Have practised listening for comprehension skills in a business context using authentic texts
- Have practised speaking skills via role plays and presentations
- Have been given feedback on the accuracy and effectiveness of your speaking skills in terms of content and language in a business setting
- Have used and referenced authentic source materials and had reading practice (out of class)
- Have improved your confidence in terms of selling, negotiating and participating in business meetings
- Have reviewed content
Weekly course plan: (may change slightly depending on class needs)
Sales: Learn the English language to aid you in sales skills and with processes and techniques
Research your market. Deliver a sales presentation
Setting ground rules for meetings. Setting agenda. Different roles in a meeting
Skills for online meetings
Language of interrupting/clarifying/digressing
Writing minutes effectively
Types of negotiation. Sample negotiations and language focus. Authentic Listening. Roleplays. Elevator pitch
Negotiating a raise. Negotiation gambits. Softening/Diplomatic language. Questioning techniques. Win/win negotiations.
Students will receive regular feedback from their teacher(s) on oral skills (content e.g. ability to negotiate well) and language-related issues (persistent errors or pronunciation features).
There will be no formal assessment on this course.
Minimum class numbers:
A minimum number of 4 students will be required for this class to run. If 4 students do not sign up, you will be offered to transfer to another course (depending on level), postpone to another term, or a refund.
Online class connection requirements:
Microsoft Teams application, a good internet connection and a quiet space where you can speak (headphones/ earphones optional)
Attendance/End of course certificate:
Attendance will be taken in every class. If you attend 80% of your lessons you will receive an end-of-course certificate. Please advise the teacher if you know in advance that you will be absent.
How to Apply
Open for applications. Part-time application form