Course Name: Business English
Day(s)/time of class: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-8 pm (Irish Time)
Course length: 24 hours in class + self-study and teacher feedback
Course dates: From Tuesday 06 July to Thursday 12 August 2021
Level(s): B1 and higher
Course cost – €300*+
*Returning students receive a loyalty discount. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
+UCC staff and students should email email@example.com to enquire about special offers.
This course takes a developmental approach to learning and honing language skills in the business world.
The course includes:
- Simulations and roleplays
- Writing tasks
- Authentic listening
- Field related reading tasks with assignments
- Relevant vocabulary
- Situational language tailored to the context
By the end of this course you will:
- Have learnt vocabulary related to the topics of sales, meetings and negotiation
- Have practised listening for comprehension skills in a business context using authentic texts
- Have practised speaking skills via role plays and presentations
- Have been given feedback on the accuracy and effectiveness of your speaking skills in terms of content and language in a business setting
- Have used and referenced authentic source materials and had reading practice (out of class)
- Have improved your confidence in terms of selling, negotiating and participating in business meetings
- Have reviewed content
Weekly course plan: (may change slightly depending on class needs)
Sales: Learn the English language to aid you in sales skills and with processes and techniques
Research your market. Deliver a sales presentation
Setting ground rules for meetings. Setting agenda. Different roles in a meeting
Skills for online meetings
Language of interrupting/clarifying/digressing
Writing minutes effectively
Types of negotiation. Sample negotiations and language focus. Authentic Listening. Roleplays. Elevator pitch
Negotiating a raise. Negotiation gambits. Softening/Diplomatic language. Questioning techniques. Win/win negotiations.
Students will receive regular feedback from their teacher(s) on oral skills (content e.g. ability to negotiate well) and language-related issues (persistent errors or pronunciation features).
There will be no formal assessment on this course.
Minimum class numbers:
A minimum number of 4 students will be required for this class to run. If 4 students do not sign up, you will be offered to transfer to another course (depending on level), postpone to another term, or a refund.
Online class connection requirements:
Microsoft Teams application, a good internet connection and a quiet space where you can speak (headphones/ earphones optional)
Attendance/End of course certificate:
Attendance will be taken in every class. If you attend 80% of your lessons you will receive an end of course certificate. Please advise the teacher if you know in advance that you will be absent.
How to Apply
Open for Applications. Please click here marking it for Summer Programme
IT Requirements: a computer, tablet or smartphone with audio and video. A reliable internet connection. You will need to be able to access MS Teams, Zoom or Canvas for your classes, depending on the course applied for.