Focus on Speaking
Course Name: Focus on Speaking
Day(s)/time of class: Wednesdays 6-8 pm (Irish time)
Course length: 6 weeks, 12 hours in class + self-study and assignments for teacher feedback
Course dates: Wednesday 07 July to Wednesday 11 August 2021
Level(s): B1+ and higher
Course cost - €150*+
*Returning students receive a loyalty discount. Please email email@example.com for details.
+UCC staff and students should email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about special offers.
This course will help you to improve your speaking skills. You will receive some input from the teacher on how to speak more fluently and have plenty of opportunities to practise speaking with your classmates and receive feedback from your teacher.
By the end of this course, you will:
- Have received some general tips on how to improve the fluency of your spoken English.
- Be able to speak more clearly by improving your enunciation.
- Be better able to participate in group discussions.
- Have improved your ability to ask for/give clarification when needed.
- Have improved your ability to effectively respond to other speakers in conversation.
- Be better able to express your likes/dislikes.
- Be better able to agree and disagree appropriately with other speakers.
- Have learned some functional language chunks to help you when speaking.
- Have the opportunity to give your opinion on controversial issues (speaking critically).
- Be better able to make speculations.
- Be better able to discuss hypothetical situations.
Weekly course plan (may change slightly depending on class needs)
Expressing likes and dislikes
Participating in group discussions
Speech clarity - enunciation
Common discourse markers for speaking
Speaking for an extended period of time
Expressing lack of understanding/asking for clarification
Making speculations ( in the present and in the past)
Speaking about hypothetical situations (in the present and in the past)
Students will receive regular feedback from their teachers on their progress. Due to the nature of this course, there will be no formal end-of-course assessment.
Minimum class numbers:
A minimum number of 4 students will be required for this class to run. If 4 students do not sign up, you will be offered to transfer to another course (depending on level), postpone to another term, or a refund.
Online class connection requirements
Microsoft Teams application - cameras on during class time.
A good internet connection and a quiet space where you are free to speak (headphones/earphones optional)
Attendance/End of course certificate:
Attendance will be taken in every class. If you attend 80% of your lessons, you will receive an end-of-course certificate. Please advise the teacher if you know in advance that you will be absent.
How to Apply
Open for applications. Please click here marking it for Summer Programme.
IT Requirements: a computer, tablet or smartphone with audio and video. A reliable internet connection. You will need to be able to access MS Teams, Zoom or Canvas for your classes, depending on the course applied for.