- About the EDI Unit
- EDI Policies & Regulations
- EDI Landscape at UCC
- News & Events
- Athena SWAN
- EDI Training Hub
- Equality & Covid-19
- Equality Committee
- Equality Committee Events
- Gender Identity and Expression
- Sexual Violence and Harassment Framework
- Speak Out
- University of Sanctuary
- University of Sanctuary Working Group
- Sanctuary Scholarships
- News, Events and Initiatives
- Refugee Weeks
- Refugee Week 2023
- Refugee Week 2022
- Refugee Week 2021
- Refugee Week 2020
- Refugee Week 2019
- Refugee Week 2018
- Welcome to UCC
- Refugee Weeks
- Scholars at Risk
- Athena SWAN
RW2022 Live Events - Wednesday
Live on Wendesday:
Rally to End Direct Provision
Early Legal Advice and Assistance for International Protection Applicants in Ireland
Centre for Criminal Justice and Human Rights (CCJHR)
Wednesday 23rd February 2022, 1-2pm
While the Irish direct provision and international protection determination systems have been the subject of sustained critique due to their serious human rights deficiencies, the specific issue of access to legal assistance for asylum seekers has been neglected in both the domestic and the international literature.
This CCJHR lunchtime seminar will consist of a conversation between Victoria Oluwatobi Isa Daniel and Susan Doyle on the urgent question of legal advice for asylum seekers. Drawing on Victoria’s recently published CCJHR Working Paper and Susan’s professional experience as a practicing solicitor, this seminar will provide an opportunity to explore the benefits and importance of frontloading legal advice and assistance for asylum seekers and hence the reasons why Ireland should convert its current inadequate system.
- Victoria Oluwatobi Isa Daniel is a Doctoral Scholar at Maynooth University and has been working in the field of immigration law for over 3 years. Victoria is an alumnus of the UCC LLM International Human Rights Law & Public Policy programme and her Masters research has been published as a CCJHR Working Paper. Victoria’s research is based on the Right to Legal Advice and Assistance in International Protection Claims.
- Susan Doyle is a practicing solicitor based in Cork city specialising in asylum and immigration cases (SMD Solicitors). Susan is also an alumnus of the UCC LLM International Human Rights Law & Public Policy programme.
- Chair: Dr Dug Cubie (School of Law, UCC and Co-Director of the CCJHR)
This seminar is hosted by the UCC School of Law Centre for Criminal Justice and Human Rights (CCJHR) as part of the UCC Refugee Week 2022.
Soundseekers Audio Festival
Praxis Anti-Racism Workshop
This workshop will be faciliated by Eric Ehigie of the Black Irish Movement and Diana Siwela of MASI (the Movement of Asylum-Seekers in Ireland).
Entrepreneurship in the Refugee Community
Join UCC Fáilte Refugees as they talk entrepreneurship with Ellie Kisyombe - Founder of My Table, and Reham Ghafarji - Founder of Soap & more.