Research in Computer Science
UCC is one of the leading research universities in Ireland. In fact, it currently ranks #1 in Ireland for research income from Industry sources. The School of Computer Science and Information Technology (CSIT) conducts internationally leading research, with a strong emphasis on applied research for the benefit of society, the ICT industry and the wider economy.
The School boasts a large and vibrant research programme, focused on four key areas:
- Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics, & Algorithmics
- Networks, Computer Architectures, & Software Systems
- Interactive Media & Human-Centered Computing
- Security, Privacy, & Ethics
Research Opportunities, PhD and Masters
The School of Computer Science and Information Technology's academic faculty and researchers are held in high esteem globally, with many holding prominent roles in Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) Research Centre.
- ADVANCE Centre for Research Training
- SFI Centre for Research Training in Artificial Intelligence
- Confirm Smart Manufacturing
- Connect Centre for Future Networks
- Insight Centre for Data Analytics (recruiting soon)
- Lero, The Irish Software Reseatch Centre
These research centres regularly offer PhD and postdoctoral research opportunites and you can read more about what is currently on offer below.
You can find our research vacancies here
Please be aware that when applying for a research PhD or Masters, you will need to apply for a position that is already being advertised. If you have your own source of funding and a proposal, you will need to approach a member of academic staff and request that they review your proposal. Academic Staff can be found on our People Page. If the staff member agrees to supervise your project you may apply here.
Unsolicited applications will rarely be considered and will in most cases result in a rejection.