Crawford Observatory Refurbishment

UCC Crawford Observatory

This was the first (full) planned restoration of the Crawford Observatory. The goal was to physically stabilise the building for the future, while retaining its original character and scientific features.  Retention or restoration of equipment of historical significance, conversation processes based on research and best practice, minimum physical intervention, maintenance of visual setting, long-term sustainability, access and interpretation.

Facilitating access to the Observatory required providing interpretative information about its scientific importance and historical context. While the interpretation of the building and its content be important for the visitor, the main exhibits will be the instruments.

Constructed of Cork limestone, the Crawford Observatory while dormant since the mid 1950s has been functioning since its construction in 1880.

The Team

Niall McAuliffe Capital Projects Officer/Chris O' Brien, Assistant Capital Projects Officer.

Design Team

The Design Team is currently assembled with architects Howley Harrington leading the team. On completion of design and tender process contract will be awarded.

Buro Happold (Civil & Structural Engineers)
Buro Happold (Mechanical & Electrical Engineers)
Bruce Shaw (Quantity Surveyors)

Contractor

Cornerstone.

Update

Project completed in 2006.

 

For further information please contact the Director of Buildings and Estates at mpoland@ucc.ie

Buildings and Estates Office

Foirgnimh agus Eastáit

Western Road, Cork

Top