Griffith Postdoctoral Position - Data integration
Griffith Postdoctoral Position: Data integration
- To be appointed to the Coastal & Marine Resources Centre (CMRC), University College Cork.
- Contract duration: three years
- Salary starts @ approximately 55k euros per annum (based on at least three years post doctoral (or equivalent) level experience).
Objectives of the Project
- To facilitate open access to GSI data on a web enabled basis
- To achieve innovations in geoscience data management and delivery
- To build capacity in within and between the GSI and CMRCd
- To engage the Irish geoscience community by providing examples of the benefits of data sharing
The ideal candidate for the data integration post is expected to have post-doctoral (or equivalent) level experience and to have either:
- A higher degree (NFQ-9 or above) in information technology or equivalent, and a good appreciation of geology or a closely related discipline.
- A higher degree (NFQ-9 or above) in geology or a closely related discipline, along with appropriate qualifications/experience in information technology.
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent RDBMS database modelling and design skills
- Exposure to RDBMS databases (e.g. Oracle 9i/10g)
- Experience in developing data extract, transform and load (ETL) processes
- Programming experience (e.g. Java)
- Excellent team working and oral and written communication skills
Other desirable qualifications for the successful candidate include:
- Experience in the field of geological data modelling (e.g. Arc Geology, GeoSciML, etc.)
- Familiarity with GIS (e.g. ESRI)
- Knowledge of metadata standards (e.g. ISO 19115/19139)
- Demonstration of leadership or project management skills
- An interest in geology and geological data management
More information on:
- UCC - the host organisation
- The Griffith Research Awards
- Collaboration with the Geological Survey of Ireland (GSI)
Closing date for applications - 30 May 2008
Please forward curriculum vitae, including a statement of research interests and experience as well as names and addresses of two referees, either electronically (email@example.com ) or by regular mail to: Gráinne Lynch, Coastal & Marine Resources Centre, Naval Base, Haulbowline, Cobh, Co. Cork