Prof. Jerry D Murphy
Professor Jerry Murphy is the chair of civil engineering, the 12th person to hold this post since 1849. He serves as Director of the SFI MaREI Centre for energy, climate and marine (which has over 250 researchers). He led the Biogas Task of the International Energy Agency (IEA) Bioenergy from 2016 to 2021 and has edited and authored numerous IEA Bioenergy reports. He was awarded the Engineers Ireland Excellence Award (2015), The Marine Industry Award for Excellence in Marine Research (2017), an adjunct professorship in University of Southern Queensland (2018), a fellowship of the Irish Academy of Engineers in 2019 and was elected to the international advisory board of DBFZ (German Bioenergy Research Centre) in 2020.
He is a leading authority on circular economy, energy, and environmental systems with more than 190 peer review journal papers, over 13,700 citations and a h-Index of 61.
Circular economy, energy and environmental systems including for:
- Decarbonisation and sustainability of transport and heat
- Power to X (renewable hydrocarbons generated from renewable electricity)
- Renewable gaseous biofuel (biogas, biomethane, biohydrogen) and algal biofuels
- Life cycle analysis of renewable energy systems
- O'Shea, R., Lin, R., Wall, D.M., Murphy, J.D. (2022) Assessing decarbonisation pathways in the food and beverage sector: A multi-criteria decision analysis approach, Journal of Cleaner Production, 371, 133534
- Gray, N., McDonagh, S., O'Shea, R., Smyth, B., Murphy, J.D. (2021) Decarbonising ships, planes and trucks: An analysis of suitable low-carbon fuels for the maritime, aviation and haulage sectors, Advances in Applied Energy,1, 100008
- Wu, B., Lin, R., O'Shea, R., Deng, C., Rajendran, K., Murphy, J.D. (2021) Production of advanced fuels through integration of biological, thermo-chemical and power to gas technologies in a circular cascading bio-based system, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 135, 110371
- Bose, A., Lin, R., Rajendran, K. O’Shea, R., Xia, A., Murphy J.D. (2019) How to optimise photosynthetic biogas upgrading: a perspective on system design and microalgae selection. Biotechnology Advances, 37, 8, 107444.
- McDonagh, S., Ahmed, S., Desmond, C., Murphy, J.D., (2020) Hydrogen from offshore wind: Investor perspective on the profitability of a hybrid system including for curtailment, Applied Energy, 265, 114732
See Prof. Murphy's IRIS profile for full details of publications.
Professor Murphy has represented Ireland at the International Energy Agency Bioenergy since 2007. He was elected by his international peers to lead the Biogas Task from 2016 till 2018 and again from 2019 to 2021. This task includes for 19 countries at the cutting edge of renewable gas production. In this role he authored/edited 15 IEA Bioenergy reports, 23 case stories, chaired 12 Symposia and provided expert evidence to the IEA and the European Commission.
Prof Murphy serves on the Gas Innovation Group which awards funding to research and development projects in the gas industry in Ireland.
Prof Murphy delivers the following modules:
- CE4002 Research Project
- CE6009 ME Dissertation
- NE4005 & NE4005: Sustainability, Bioenergy, and Circular Economy systems