Dr Ciarán Hanley
Ciarán is a Lecturer in Structural Engineering at University College Cork. He is a Chartered Engineer with 10 years’ experience in the design and assessment of bridges, marine and civil structures; and is the author more than a dozen technical publications on performance-based design and life-cycle assessment of bridges, structural safety and reliability assessment of bridges, and multivariate analysis of bridge management systems. He is a technical reviewer of the international journals Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Proceedings of the ICE – Bridge Engineering, and Proceedings of the ICE – Infrastructure Asset Management, as well as a board member of the Civil Engineering Research Association of Ireland. He was a participant of the EU research project TU1406: Quality specifications for roadway bridges, standardization at a European Level, and is Rapporteur for the succeeding organisation EuroStruct. He was a finalist for Engineers Ireland Chartered Engineer of the Year in 2019.
- Performance-based design and life-cycle assessment of bridges and civil structures
- Structural safety and health monitoring of bridges and civil structures
- Maintenance and management of infrastructure systems
- Parametric modelling of structures and optimisation
- Sustainable development and resilience of bridges and infrastructure
5 selected publications
Link to IRIS profile
- Hanley, C., Frangopol, D.M., Kelliher, D., & Pakrashi, V. (2018) Reliability index and parameter importance measures considering changes in bridge traffic loading definitions. Proceedings of the ICE – Bridge Engineering, 171(1), 13--24.
- Hanley, C., Matos, J.C., Kelliher, D., & Pakrashi, V. (2017) Integrating multivariate techniques in bridge management systems. Journal of Structural Integrity and Maintenance, 2(3), 143--151.
- Hanley, C. & Pakrashi, V. (2016) Reliability analysis of a bridge network in Ireland. Proceedings of the ICE – Bridge Engineering, 169(1), 3--12.
- Hanley, C., Kelliher, D., & Pakrashi, V. (2015) Principal component analysis for condition monitoring of a network of bridge structures. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 628(1), 012060.
- Weninger-Vycudil, A., Hanley, C., Deix, S., O’Connor, A., & Pakrashi, V. (2015) Cross-asset management for road infrastructure networks. Proceedings of the ICE – Transport, 168(5), 442--456.
Link to Google Scholar:
Ciarán Hanley - Google Scholar
In addition to being a Chartered Engineer with Engineers Ireland, Ciarán is a member of a number of a professional associations, including the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE), International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE), Fédération Internationale du Béton (FIB), and International Association of Shell and Spatial Structures (IASS). Ciarán has many years' experience in the design and assessment of bridges and marine structures, and continues to operate as a specialist consultant in these areas.
CE1003 - Introduction to Civil/Structural Engineering
CE2002 - Solid & Structural Mechanics II
CE3003 - Design Studio II (Steel & Timber)
CE6044 - Prestressed Concrete