Dr David Wall
Dr David Wall is a Lecturer in Transportation at UCC and a Funded Investigator in the SFI MaREI Centre for Energy, Climate and Marine. Prior to joining UCC as a lecturer, David obtained a Teagasc Walsh Fellowship PhD, and a Masters in Biosystems Engineering from Michigan State University, US. David has also previously worked as a process engineer in the UK. David has published over 40 peer reviewed journal papers in the research area of circular economy, energy and environmental systems. David is an Irish delegate for the International Energy Agency (IEA) Bioenergy: Task 37 and has previously authored three IEA Bioenergy reports. David is also a committee member of the Irish Transport Research Network (ITRN).
- Innovative renewable gas technologies (biogas / biomethane production)
- Demand driven energy systems to facilitate high shares of intermittent renewable electricity
- Valorisation of waste streams through novel circular economy approaches
- Electrofuels production in a circular economy
- Development of biorefineries in agriculture (protein, platform chemicals and energy generation from crops and residues)
- The effect of seasonal biomass availability and energy demand on the operation of an on-farm biomethane plant
Ó Céileachair, D., O'Shea, R., Murphy, J.D., Wall, D.M. (2022)
Journal of Cleaner Production, 368, 133129 (Impact Factor 11.072)
- Alternative energy management strategies for large industry in non-gas-grid regions using on-farm biomethane
Ó Céileachair, D., O'Shea, R., Murphy, J. D., Wall, D. M. (2021)
Applied Energy, 303, 117627 (Impact Factor 9.746)
- Renewable Gas – discussion on the state of the industry and its future in a decarbonised world
Liebetrau, J., Rensberg, N., Maguire, D., Archer, D., Wall, D. M., Murphy, J. D., (2021)
IEA Bioenergy: Task 37, 2021:11
- Cascading biomethane energy systems for sustainable green gas production in a circular economy
Wall, D. M., McDonagh, S., & Murphy, J. D. (2017)
Bioresource Technology, 243, 1207-1215 (Impact Factor 9.642)
- The potential for biomethane from grass and slurry to satisfy renewable energy targets
Wall, D. M., O’Kiely, P., & Murphy, J. D. (2013)
Bioresource Technology, 149(0), 425-431 (Impact Factor 9.642)
See Dr Wall’s IRIS profile for full list of publications: IRIS Profile
David represents Ireland at the International Energy Agency (IEA) Bioenergy: Task 37 Biogas and has authored three IEA Bioenergy technical reports.
David is a committee member for the Irish Transport Research Network (ITRN).
David has also worked on numerous consultancy projects including the SEAI report “Assessment of the cost and benefits of biogas and biomethane in Ireland” and the “Anaerobic Digester Feasibility Study” for the Dingle Peninsula.
Dr Wall delivers the following modules:
NE3004/CE6042 Transportation and Energy
CE4012 Traffic and Highways