Dr. Zili Li
Dr. Zili Li is a tenured Lecturer above the merit bar in Geotechnics from University College Cork (UCC), Ireland and a visiting Assistant Professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA. He holds a PhD degree in Geotechnical Engineering from the University of Cambridge, UK. He used to be a Research Associate at the Centre for Smart Infrastructure and Construction (CSIC) in the University of Cambridge, UK, and also worked at the Centre for Underground Construction and Tunnelling, Colorado School of Mines, US. Dr Li was the Theme Leader in Geotechnics of Civil Engineering Research Association of Ireland (CERAI) from 2017 to 2021.
- Energy geotechnics (underground hydrogen storage and advanced laboratory testing)
- Computational geotechnics (advanced finite element modelling, ground constitutive model)
- Tunnelling engineering and underground space
- Geothermal foundation (thermo-hydro-mechanical (THM) modelling)
- Innovative monitoring technologies and data analytics (distributed fibre optic sensing, wireless sensor network)
- O'Brien, D., Osborne, J., Perez-Duenas, E., Li, Z., (2022), Automated crack classification in the CERN underground tunnel infrastructure using deep learning, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, (accepted)
- Wang, C., Tavares, A., Fonseca, J., Soares, F., Li Z.*, (2022), Real-time condition assessment of a painted megalithic cave using Wireless Sensor Network, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 120, 104270 (won John Murphy Postgraduate Research Fellowship – the best journal paper Award in UCC Civil Engineering Discipline in 2022)
- Dai, Q., Zhang, D., Li, Z.*, (2022), Mechanical assessment of energy wall in the long term, Acta Geotechnica, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11440-022-01579-5
- Dai, Q., Li, Z.*, (2019), Long-term mechanical performance of geothermal diaphragm walls in stiff clay, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 94, 103113
- Li, Z.*, Soga, K., Kechavarzi, C. (2018), Distributed Fibre Optic Sensing of a Deep Excavation Adjacent to Pre-existing Tunnels, Geotechnique Letters, 8, 1-7
See Dr. Li's Google Scholar Profile for full details of publications.
Internationally, Dr. Li is the Leader of Task Force ‘Big Data Acquisition’ in TC309 Machine Learning & Big Data at ISSMG, and the chair conference organiser of the 4th International Symposium on Machine Learning and Big Data in Geoscience 2023 https://www.ismlg2023.com.
Dr. Li has been invited to deliver 5 keynote presentations in a series of national & international conferences. Currently, he is mentoring a Postdoc, supervising 7 PhDs,1 research master student, and 2 visiting PhDs.
Postgraduate Level: GL6021 Engineering Geology
CE4007 Geotechnical Engineering, CE4002 Dissertation in Civil and Environmental Engineering