Dr. Dominic O' Sullivan
Dominic is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering.
He is the Director of the Intelligent Efficiency Research Group (IERG) an award winning team of PhD and Masters Researchers specialising in the advancement of the next generation of energy efficiency technologies.
Dominic formerly led an energy consultancy business and has supported a number of multinationals across Ireland, Europe and the US in reducing energy consumption. He has maintained industry links since returning to academia working with a number of industries in his I2E2 (Innovation for Ireland’s Energy Efficiency) research projects, such as Intel, De Puy, Xerox, Analog and Hewlett Packard. Dominic has also worked with IERC (International Energy Research Centre) which includes Bell Labs and UTRC (United Technology Research Centre) amongst its member companies.
Dominic continues to work with National and International Energy Agencies and is a representative on Ireland's Energy Standards Consultative Committee.
Intelligent Efficiency encompassing:
- Energy efficiency and demand side management in industry and buildings
- Building Energy Performance Simulation
- Energy Management Systems
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Systems for Industry and Buildings
- DTJ O’Sullivan, MM Keane, D Kelliher, RJ Hitchcock, (2004) Improving building operation by tracking performance metrics throughout the building lifecycle (BLC) Energy and buildings 36 (11), 1075-1090
- SN Murray, BP Walsh, D Kelliher, DTJ O'Sullivan (2014) Multi-variable optimization of thermal energy efficiency retrofitting of buildings using static modelling and genetic algorithms–A case study, Building and Environment 75, 98-107
- P O’Donovan, K Leahy, K Bruton, DTJ O’Sullivan (2015) An industrial big data pipeline for data-driven analytics maintenance applications in large-scale smart manufacturing facilities, Journal of Big Data 2 (1), 25
- K Bruton, P Raftery, B Kennedy, MM Keane, DTJ O’Sullivan (2014) Review of automated fault detection and diagnostic tools in air handling units, Energy efficiency 7 (2), 335-351
- BP Walsh, SN Murray, DTJ O’Sullivan (2015) The water energy nexus, an ISO50001 water case study and the need for a water value system, Water Resources and Industry 10, 15-28
See Dr. O’ Sullivan's IRIS profile for full details of publications.
Dr. O’ Sullivan is a member of the colleges Green Campus programme, which has been a driver behind the college attaining recognitions such as the Green flag and Gold Star awards.
In addition to academic journal output Dr. O’ Sullivan has been responsible for professional publications in his areas of expertise. These have included publications for industry on HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning), Solutions for Building Retrofits and the development of an Energy Efficient Design Methodology for SEAI which has gone on to form a new Irish standard.
Finally Dr. O’ Sullivan has served on Ireland's Energy Standards Consultative Committee, which reviews and considers incoming legislation from a National perspective and provides input to proposed new International standards.
Dr. O’ Sullivan delivers the following modules
- CE3010/NE3002/NE6012 Energy in Buildings
- CE4016/NE4006/NE6016 Energy Systems in Buildings
- CE4019/NE4007 Computer Aided Design VII (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning)
- NE6015 Data Analytics for Engineers
- NE2001 Primary Energy Engineering