- Staff IT Service Desk
- IT Training
- IT Service Catalogue
- IT Security
- Infrastructure and Security Standards
- Online services
- Storage Options
- Return to Work on Campus
- Teaching or Working Remotely
- Student IT Services
- IT Services Newsletter
- History of Computing in UCC
- IT Vacancies
- Open Days
Computers bought through the IT Services department will be delivered configured to connect to the UCC network.
If a computer was bought independently but is proven to be UCC owned, it can be connected to the wired network. Instructions can be found below.
Getting connected - independently bought computers
You will need the following details about the computer:
- Your name,
- Extension no.,
- Email address,
- Location( as in the room, building etc),
- Operating System,
- Wall box Number,
- Ethernet address (also known as the MAC address)
- Make & Model of PC/Laptop.
Contact the helpdesk at extension 2120
A call will be logged to network the computer. You will be contacted before someone calls out to network the machine.
The same details as above will be required by the helddesk. You will be contacted askied to drop the laptop up to the It Services Helpdesk on the 3rd floor of the Kane Building. Networking will GENERALLY take 1-2 days after the laptop is dropped up.
Files can be transferred from an old machine to the new machine if it was requested while initially logging the call with the helpdesk.
Connecting Your Computer - Obtaining your Ethernet Address
- Microsoft Windows NT/2000/XP:
- Start -> Run -> cmd -> OK
- In the DOS box type: ipconfig /all
- Physical Address (Ethernet Address): string of hexadecimal numbers
- This will only work if the network cable is plugged into a live wall point.
- MacOS X:
- Go to the Apple Menu
- Select "About this Mac"
- Select "More info"
- Apple System Profiler will be launched.
- Under system profile, look for Network Overview
- Look for "Ethernet Address"
- Go to the Apple Menu
- Go to Control Panels
- Open Apple Talk.
- Go to File
- Select "Get Info..."
- Look for "Hardware Address"
Procedures and Standards for Network Connection
The IT Services department has a number of procedures and standards that must be adhered to when connecting to the UCC network. Please read the documentation on-line: http://www.ucc.ie/en/it-policies/
Summary: This service provides high performance and consistent network access from UCC's Local Area Network (LAN) and Wi-Fi services to the Internet through Irelands National Education and Research network provided by HEANET.
Primary users of this service: Staff, Researchers
Who to contact to use this service: E: email@example.com | T: +353 (0)21 490 2120 | IT Services |
Contact to discuss this service: Michael O'Halloran | E: firstname.lastname@example.org |
Strategic Focus: Enabling Infrastructure Services