Penalty Exemption Scheme
School of History Penalty Exemption Scheme
Download the School of History Penalty Exemption Scheme Information and Form Penalty Exemption Scheme 19.20
- All course work must be submitted by the prescribed deadline.
- Where work is submitted up to, and including 7 days late, 10% of the total marks available shall be deducted from the mark achieved. Where work is submitted up to, and including 14 days late, 20% of the total marks available shall be deducted from the mark achieved. Work submitted 15 days late or more shall be assigned a mark of zero.
- If there are extenuating circumstances, students submitting late work may apply for exemption from the School of History’s Penalty Exemption Committee (PEC). The committee may waive all, or part of the penalty, or it may reject the application altogether. Please note that exemption of the penalty will be the exception rather than the rule.
- Students who are unavoidably absent from in-class tests and/or oral presentations, may also apply under this scheme for permission to take these elements of the assessment process at a later date, in consultation with the relevant lecturer.
- Applications must be made on the prescribed form (attached) and must include appropriate documentation. Guidelines on acceptable extenuating circumstances are given below.
- The final deadline for the submission of late work and applications for penalty exemption, is three weeks (21 calendar days) after the prescribed deadline for a piece of assessed work. Work submitted more than three weeks late will not be accepted, nor will it be marked and will not be eligible for penalty exemption.
- Regarding Case Study and Seminar attendance, Students may appeal failure to fulfil the requirement for two-thirds attendance. Appeals in relation to case studies must be lodged by the end of the 1st semester. Appeals in relation to seminars must be lodged by the end of the 2nd semester. The appeals should be made on the same documentation as the rest of the Penalty Exemption Scheme. Documentation of the extenuating circumstances must cover the whole of the period during which the student was absent from class.
*The Penalty Exemption Scheme does not apply to supplemental assignments being submitted late for the Autumn repeat examinations. In such cases the Head of School must be contacted.