Full Economic Costing
Full Economic Costing Process
Bursar's Office, North Wing, University College Cork
|Telephone||+353 (0)21 4903100|
Full Economic Costing Oversight Board
- Professor Anita Maguire (Chair, Vice President of Research & Innovation)
- Mr Diarmuid Collins (Chief Financial Officer/Bursar, Finance Office)
- Professor Kevin Cashman (School of Food and Nutritional Sciences)
- Professor Kathy Hall (School of Education)
- Professor John O'Halloran (Deputy President and Registrar)
- Professor Eileen Savage (School of Nursing)
- Professor Frederic Adam (Business Information Systems)
- Mr Cormac McSweeney (Acting Finance Officer)
- Ms Clare Lehane (Full Economic Costing Manager)
Academic Work Distribution Model - Full Economic Costing Process
Updated September 2019
The AWDM-FECP Academic Advisory Group (AAG) are working towards enabling an efficient 2020 collection period for all academic colleagues. In preparation for this, the AAG have been working on refining the AWDM-FECP form, in line with feedback, and have commenced a project focused on transitioning the forms' platform hosting from its current external service provider to an in-house solution within IT Services. A communication regarding the 2020 collection period will be made in the coming months.
Updated March 2019
The most recent Academic Work Distribution Model - Full Economic Costing (AWDM-FECP) data collection round has been completed.
The engagement of the academic community with the process is very much appreciated.
The Academic Advisory Group are currently considering outputs from the process and a communication round will begin shortly across the institution.
Updated April 2018
This page contains information on the Academic Work Distribution Model - Full Economic Costing Process (AWDM-FECP), its operation and recent developments in terms of supporting academic colleagues in completing this year’s collection of AWDM-FECP information on academic activity.
2018 Launch Timeline
This year’s collection period is anticipated to launch this April and will remain open for approximately six to eight weeks to allow for Heads verification. The overall timeframe for closure of this cycle aims for contribution to the planning in advance of commencement of the next academic year i.e. September 2018.
Overview of AWDM-FECP
Separately since 2008 UCC has been involved in a sectoral SIF funded project via a senior Steering Group and Working Group (led by an academic champion) to implement a Full Economic Costing Process (FECP) to highlight perceived deficiencies in the funding of research overheads and support funding requests. UCC, in conjunction with DCU, implemented Sub-Project 1 developing a comprehensive academic activities form which individual academic staff members populate. Between 2009 and 2013 FECP was collecting information from academic staff on their academic activities as a key element in its separate costing process.
University College Cork’s Academic Workload Model (AWDM) was designed over a period of years via a senior Steering Group and a Project Team (led by the Registrar and Senior Vice President Academic). An AWDM Framework was formally approved by Academic Council on the 26th November 2010 and Governing Body in 2010. Informed by an international benchmarking exercise the then standalone AWDM model was designed to respond to internal demands for greater equity and transparency in the distribution of tasks and resources and enabling appropriate reporting on academic activities and overall workload of academic staff. Following agreement at Academic Council (24th June 2011) an institutional wide pilot of the university’s Academic Workload Distribution Model was completed.
The AWDM and FECP projects were in keeping with the requirements of the University's Strategic Plan and objectives, The Croke Park Agreement and the National Strategy for Higher Education.
With the 2013 integration of AWDM and FECP, on an electronic platform, the form now enables individual academic staff members and their Academic Units to report on academic workload (AWDM) as well as Full Economic Costing Process (FECP). UCC was the first of the Irish universities to align Academic Work Distribution and Full Economic Costing academic activity data sets into a single collection source. The Model has importance in relation to the national HE reporting agenda as the AWDM-FEC Model is a key tool used to report on academic activity, research overhead and support funding requests for both internal and external stakeholders. In September 2017 UMTO approved the closure of the ‘Pilot’ stage and in doing so provided for the establishment of a Senior Academic Advisory Group to act as an academic community support in relation to the operation of the AWDM-FECP model.
AWDM-FECP Academic Advisory Group (AAG)
The Academic Advisory Group for Academic Work Distribution – Full Economic Costing Process (AWDM-FECP) has been formed as a collegial group to work with Heads of Academic Unit and academic staff in using the AWDM-FECP Framework; whilst ensuring the implementation and operation of the framework is compatible with the needs of the academic community. Since its inaugural meeting in January this year, the Group have given consideration to the launch of the next cycle of AWDM-FECP data collection; which has been collected via the one electronic platform and data collection period for the last few cycles. Additional information can be found at https://www.ucc.ie/en/registrar/awdm/
Staff Briefings/ Contact Point on AWDM-FECP
To facilitate the 2018 collection period a number of briefings will be made available for Heads and academic staff on AWDM-FECP. These briefings may be of particular benefit to new Heads and academic staff. Briefing dates will be announced in the coming weeks. Your College representative, listed above, will act as your point of contact with the Academic Advisory Group on AWDM-FECP matters. The Group look forward to supporting you and your College in the up-coming AWDM-FECP data collection period.
The following academic staff are considered exempt from completion of the AWDM:
- Academic staff who work less than 0.2 FTE (less than 20% of a full time equivalent) & part time occasional staff.
- Academic staff on maternity leave, long-term sick leave and approved special leave for the timeframe being recorded.
- Academic staff on sabbatical leave of six months or greater during the reporting period.
- Recently appointed academic staff who have worked less than 6 months.
- Academic staff within six months of retirement.
When the process has launches the systems can be accessed as follows:
Login to the AWDM-FECP form:
As the 2018 collection period will be the first collection post pilot all forms pre-2018 have been archived (in line with University Record Management Guidelines) to a separate historic site. You can access this site with your usual login below.
Access to Pre-2018 forms:
Summary Steps in the AWDM-FECP Collection Process:
- The AWDM-FECP collection period is launched and will remain open for four to six weeks to allow academic collections included in the collection period to complete the form. For 2018 the launch will be in early March.
- The individual staff member completes the AWDM-FECP form via the login provided. The completion of the form will have a retrospective focus i.e. looking back at the past academic year. Under Research, publications are based on a rolling four year average, looking back over the past four years.
- The individual staff member submits their form to their Head of Academic Unit/ School
- The Head of Academic Unit/ School will verify the information or liaise with the individual staff member where clarification is needed.
- Once signed off electronically by the Head of Academic Unit/ School, a non-personalised Unit Summary is generated, disseminated locally within the academic unit and submitted to the relevant Head of College normally within one month.
- The AWDM data can be used to assist the Head of Academic Unit in ensuring that the necessary work of an academic unit is carried out effectively, while taking account of career development goals of individual staff members. For full overview of use of AWDM-FECP data please refer to the ‘AWDM-FECP Overview Sheet’ below.
- A University level summative non-personalised report is submitted, following the collection period, to Academic Council.
Detailed Guides/ Supporting Material
If you have any queries in relation to your AWDM-FECP form you can email the dedicated helpdesk: firstname.lastname@example.org
- AWDM forms and Unit Summary Sheets shall be bound by the University Record Management Policy in compliance with Data Protection Laws.
Data Protection Disclaimer
The information you supply in relation to your Academic Work will be used to:
- facilitate your unit in using their resources to optimise the quality and quantity of outputs having regard to staff development goals;
- quantify scholarly activities to balance load against capacity and to aid comparability of workload distribution at Academic Unit, College and University levels;
- provide information to facilitate decisions on resource allocation and;
- create a framework to capture information on academic activities to allow the University to report with greater precision.
The information you supplied in relation to Full Economic Costing will be averaged by academic unit within one of the six nationally agreed Full Economic Costing academic grades. Only academic unit grade averages are used within the costing system.
The information will not be used for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party. If you wish to correct/amend your personal details, please contact email@example.com in the first instance. If you wish to access your personal data or have any further queries in relation to Data Protection, please contact the University’s Information Compliance Officer (email: firstname.lastname@example.org; telephone: 021 4903949).