BSc MHS News and Events
New BSc Medical and Health Sciences programme celebrates excellence at Awards Ceremony
The Dean of the School of Medicine UCC, Professor Paula O’Leary, was invited speaker and presented the awards at the first BSc Medical and Health Sciences Awards Ceremony, which celebrated the first class of students to successfully complete this programme.
This innovative and exciting new cross-College BSc degree programme in Medical and Health Sciences (CK707), which was conceived and developed by a team led by Professor Aideen Sullivan, Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience, held its inaugural Awards Ceremony on the 27th May 2022. Staff involved in developing and delivering the programme joined the class of 2022 to celebrate their achievements, with the Dean of the School of Medicine, Professor Paula O’Leary.
Professor Aideen Sullivan welcomed the staff, students, and the Dean to the Awards Ceremony and spoke of her delight at her vision of the course being realised and said that the completion of the first programme by the first class was a tremendous achievement for all present. She congratulated the students on their impressive engagement in all aspects of the course, their resilience throughout the Covid-19 lockdown, the quality of their research projects and their excellent exam results. She encouraged the students to stay in contact with the programme team in UCC, and to visit and share their career successes with current and future students. She emphasised the value of a strong and engaged network of Alumni to the ongoing success and development of the degree and its students.
Professor O’Leary spoke of the success of the new BSc Medical and Health Science programme and said that it is a tremendous addition to the programmes in medical education provided by UCC. She encouraged the students to be brave in their careers, to enjoy their knowledge and to pursue excellence. She commented that it was a pleasure to be in the company of such bright educated leaders of the future, and wished each student happiness and fulfilment in their future careers.
Prizes were awarded:
- First Place in the BSc MHS Class 2022 BioMarin Bursary: Seán Ó Murchú
- Best Final Year Research Project 2022: Seán Ó Murchú
- Best Final Year Research Project Presentation 2022: Isaac Sylvester
- Best Final Year Research Project Presentation 2022: Ruslan Volkov
- Professor Aideen Sullivan, and Professor Paula O'Leary, present Ruslan Volkov with the award for best final year research presentation 2022:
- Professor Aideen Sullivan, and Professor Paula O'Leary, present Isaac Sylvester with the award for best final year research presentation
- Professor Aideen Sullivan congratulates Sanctuary scholars Joan Omosefe Osayande and Clinton Gbolahan on their outstanding achievements.
- BSc Medical and Health Sciences Class Rep Maedbh Heaney presents Professor Aideen Sullivan with a thank you award from the MHS class of 2022
For more on this story contact:
News story and photographs Bereniece Riedewald