Springboard: Certificate in Languages for the Global Marketplace
The new "Certificate in Languages for the Global Marketplace" starts this October in UCC. This part time course is aimed at people who want to return to the job market with modern language and intercultural communication skills. The programme combines courses of Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian or German language and cultural studies with relevant business skills in marketing and management.
30 August 2013
23 September 2013
The programme will broaden participants’ horizons by allowing them to engage with the work environment in a different culture. Through acquiring a range of language related and intercultural communication skills they will increase their employment opportunities in various sectors of the global marketplace.
On successful completion of this programmes, students should be able to:
• Read texts at an appropriate level and perform tasks based on their comprehension;
• Perform tasks based on aural comprehension at an appropriate level;
• Communicate orally at an appropriate level and in a range of registers relevant to specific professional settings;
• Communicate in writing at an appropriate level and in a range of registers relevant to specific professional settings;
• Demonstrate an awareness of current trends in the global market place;
• Demonstrate an awareness of non-linguistic aspects of communication;
• Apply intercultural communication skills in collaborations and negotiations in specific work place environments.
Languages will be offered at beginners or near beginners level, and students will be equipped with the necessary language competence as well as intercultural skills to be able do business with markets of particular strategic interest to Ireland, both in Europe and beyond.
Languages have been identified by employers as one of the key skills needs in the Munster region, but they obviously open up international opportunities, too. The languages you can study at UCC are those of Ireland’s business partners in Europe (France, Germany, Switzerland and Austria, Italy, Spain and Portugal) and across the globe (Canada, Brazil, Mexico and the rest of Latin America).
By taking this course in UCC, students will have the opportunity to work with highly qualified and experienced staff in one of the most prestigious academic institutions in
the country and in Europe.
increasingly competitive globalised market, being competent in one or more non-native languages has become a necessity.
This course gives you the unique opportunity to study a foreign language, thus creating opportunities in the areas of travel and tourism, translating, international business, technology, marketing, public service, recruitment, journalism and media, both at home and abroad.