Possible funding sources include:
- the Irish Research Council Postgraduate Scholarships, IRC.
- the National University of Ireland (NUI Graduates only).
- non-EU nationals fee waivers
- College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences Postgraduate Scholarship
- grants from the Italian Cultural Institute for study in Italy
- County Council: Irish candidates are advised to seek information from their local authorities
- Erasmus/Socrates programme: small grants available for three-month placements at an Italian University through the CACSSS Graduate School Erasmus Mobility Scholarship
The Eduardo Saccone PhD Scholarship in Italian Literature
The Department of Italian, University College Cork, is offering one scholarship with a total value of €20,000 per annum, subject to renewal. The scholarship covers fees (€5,770 per annum for EU students; €13,000 per annum for non-EU students) and the balance is to be paid as a stipend paid in monthly instalments. The successful recipient must apply also for other, equivalent scholarships for which they are eligible, i.e. the Irish Research Council GOI Postgraduate Scholarship, in the first year of doctoral study. The Scholarship is normally renewable each year for a period of three years, subject to the student having applied to other funding bodies and receiving satisfactory annual progress reports. Applications to extend the Scholarship to cover a fourth year of study may be considered.
The Scholarship, named after Eduardo Saccone, professor of Italian at UCC from 1994 to 2003, is for PhD research on a topic in the area of Italian literature. To be considered, applicants must have a minimum of a BA (or equivalent) in Italian Studies or other relevant discipline, and have achieved at least a Second Class Honours (i.e. 2H1 or equivalent) in their first or subsequent degree. Applicants should be able to provide evidence of a high level of written and spoken Italian. A working knowledge of English is also required.
Deadline for submission for the academic year 2020-21: Tuesday, 28 July 2020
Details of the Scholarship, including the application process, terms and conditions and an application form can be downloaded here: