Computer Science - At the Centre of Student Life
Nestled alongside the River Lee, the Western Gateway Building is home to Computer Science. This ultra-modern building is situated at the heart of a UCC student's college life. Within a three minute walk of the newly expanded Mardyke Arena, and within a few minutes walk of Campus Accommodation, most lectures, lab sessions and facilities used by our students are located in this state-of-the-art facility.
Computer Science teaching facilities
- Teaching and specialist labs (more detail below).
- IT Helpdesk: Email based ticketing system. Web site with frequently asked questions. Physical desk for queries that cannot be handled via self service or email.
- File system for staff and student data. RAID and Mirrored.
- Web and DBMS for school, staff and student development and production use.
- Platforms include PHP and server-side Python.
- Full email service for staff. Managed email lists for staff and student groups.
- Dedicated SSH gateway server (to allow secure external SSH access to CSIT Unix servers) .
- VLE: Canvas.
- Virtual Machines in labs with use across MSc, 2nd year, 3rd year and diploma courses for more flexible teaching.
General-use teaching labs
- Dual boot Windows /Linux PCs across 3 teaching labs for undergrad teaching (83, 80 and 75 seat).
- Dual boot Windows /Linux PCs across 2 labs for diploma and MSc.
- 40 seats across two labs for minor, service modules and overflow.
- 19 seat labs for school research MSc/PhD students.
- 20 seat lab for 1st, 2nd and 3rd year unscheduled coursework.
Specialist teaching labs and facilities
- Hardware lab: 25 seats for 2 specialist hardware classes with Arduino Kits and FPGAs.
- Multimedia classes: 70 MAC OSX workstations.
- Final year and MSc project lab: 25 seat high end workstations mostly for data analytics and compute-intensive needs.
- Specialist GPU workstation lab for compute intensive deep learning.
- Video laboratory with high end workstations and video editing hardware and software.
- Audio lab high end workstations, keyboards and audio editing software.
- Dedicated virtual reality lab: State-of-the-art VR hardware and HCI devices.
- Fully equipped multimedia recording studio.
Other teaching facilities
- Server Room with Fire suppression and rack mounted servers.
- A selection of devices (phones & tablets etc) for loan to project students.
- Specialist IP video conferencing in main CS meeting room for School use.