International Programme in Teaching and Learning (HE)
This innovative programme for Higher Education staff combines support for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education with English language development, as well as offering participants the opportunity to enjoy UCC campus life and Irish culture. The programme is run jointly by the Centre for the Integration of Teaching and Learning and UCC's Language Centre. A short YouTube video introducing the programme (in English and Chinese) for International Scholars can be viewed here.
On completion of course participants will receive:
• A certificate acknowledging professional development in English language proficiency.
• A certificate acknowledging professional development in integrating research, teaching and learning.
• Access to links and archives that will sustain their research work in this field.
• The course also provides a pathway to the online ECTS certified programme in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Participants can avail of the following options:
|July or August for 2 weeks
|September 2018- May/June 2019
*Please note that these are the European costs.
**Accommodation costs are not included and are typically €600pm (Summer School) and €660pm (for the semester or academic year programmes)
*** Participants should stay for the duration of the programme and will be charged full costs. Refunds are only possible if notification is given a month prior to the course start date.
The Teaching and Learning programme provides an overview of the key theories of teaching, learning and assessment in higher education. It is grounded in the work of two major US drivers of contemporary theory and practice in teaching and learning, i.e. the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, and the Project Zero Classroom at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. Such influences, coupled with local commitment to teaching and learning at UCC, make the programme the longest running and most successful in Ireland and celebrated internationally.
The language programme is comprised of a placement test, integrated English language classes to support language acquisition, and bespoke English language classes aligned with the content of the Teaching and Learning programme.
Achievements and Key Elements
On completion of this language course scholars will receive:
- A certificate acknowledging professional development in English language proficiency.
- A report on their progress in relation to language skills and systems.
On completion of the Teaching and Learning course, scholars will receive:
- A certificate acknowledging professional development in integrating research, teaching and learning.
- Access to links and archives that will sustain their research work in this field.
- The course also provides a pathway to the online ECTS certified programme in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Accommodation arranged by UCC staff
- Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Programme
- English Language Development Programme
- Networking at UCC, classroom visits and observation
- University student card issued
- Free membership of the university’s world class sports complex
- Access to the University Boole Library
- Cultural experiences and outings
|"I got a lot of examples of problems I can use in my classroom… especially how to use student engagement".
"The people left a deep impression-they are so friendly… they give a lot of smiles and help for us".
"I have learned that teaching and learning is a combined process. It was a really wonderful experience for us and our English has been enhanced".
Closing reflections on the International Summer School for Visiting Scholars (August, 2016)
Live and Learn in Ireland
Supportive information to aid the transition of International students into the higher education system in Ireland.
Student Info Hub
Information for students travelling from abroad to study in UCC
Events listing guide for Cork