University College Cork, Ireland 5th & 6th December 2019
Welcome to Learning Connections 2019
Sponsored by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, the Learning Connections 2019 conference will bring together learners, teachers, architects, designers and all who support teaching, from across third level institutions: from universities; institutes of technology; community; industry; government agencies; policy makers; and regulators, under the frame of learning connections. This conference is underpinned by the following research questions:
- How can we connect across disciplinary boundaries, and break down barriers between academia, administration, community and industry to strive for optimal student learning in Third Level Institutions?
- How can learning in different spaces - physical, active, virtual, off campus, enable all students, as global citizens, to think through and solve big problems?
Learning Connections 2019 promises to be a conference with a difference.
Over the two days, delegates will examine the science of pedagogy as it interacts with architecture to enhance student learning and enable student success.
Thinking through these ideas will involve participation and interaction from educators, researchers, students, architects, engineers, community partners, industry leaders and others, under the following themes:
- Learning space design
- Learning beyond the classroom: community & industry partnerships
- Inclusive and accessible learning and teaching
- Active learning: classrooms, makerspaces, studio spaces
- Learning in a virtual space
- Innovative methodologies for research-led education
At this event, you will get the opportunity to explore the learning environments of the future, both physical and digital, and to explore the complex relationship between space and learning.
Conference Organising Committee
- Dr. Briony Supple, Centre for the Integration of Research, Teaching & Learning (Chair)
- Alastair Brook, PhD Student, Cork Centre for Architecture Education, UCC
- Alan Carbery, Boole Library, UCC
- Dr. Donal Canty, School of Education, University of Limerick
- Dr. Tom Delahunty, School of Education, UCC
- Dr. Rónán Dunbar, Department of Mechanical and Polymer Engineering, Athlone Institute of Technology
- Claire Fennell, Centre for Digital Education, UCC
- Kieran Hurley, 98.3 Radio Station Manager, UCC
- Dr. Sandra Irwin, Deputy President & Registrar’s Office, UCC
- Owen Jump, Research Support Officer, Centre for the Integration of Research, Teaching & Learning, UCC
- Dr. Laura Lee, Research Support Officer, Centre for the Integration of Research, Teaching & Learning, UCC
- Jack Lehane, PhD Student, Cork Centre for Architecture Education,
- Catherine Molloy, PhD Student, Cork Centre for Architecture Education, UCC
- Dr. Sarah Mulrooney, Lecturer, Cork Centre for Architecture Education, UCC
- Dr. Niall O'Leary, Microbiology & Centre for the Integration of Research, Teaching & Learning Fellow, UCC
- Katie Power, Law Lecturer, Cork Institute of Technology, Adjunct Lecturer Law, University College Cork, Centre for the Integration of Research, Teaching & Learning, PhD Student, UCC & CIT
- Claire Devany, Executive Assistant, Centre for the Integration of Research, Teaching & Learning, UCC