Resources for Current Students
Timetable of the Academic Year 2019/2020
|Semester Periods||First Semester Period||1 Week Study/Review||Christmas Recess||Second Semester Period||Easter Recess||1 Week Study/Review|
The School of Chemistry is committed to supporting your experience with us. We are aware that there are many aspects which influence your well-being, and we recognise that sometimes you may experience difficulties outside the University which affect your University life, particularly your studies. If you find that you are having difficulties which are impacting on your academic studies and/or on your well-being, the University offers a wide range of support services.
If you are experiencing any issues which are impacting on your studies, we encourage you to make contact with either the relevant point of contact or with the School Student Experience Officer. We can offer information and support, and, if necessary, guide you towards the university service most relevant to your needs.
Undergraduate Chemistry Modules
A full list of chemistry modules and their contents, across all undergraduate courses, may be found in the UCC book of modules.
Software for Students
The School of Chemistry site licence for ChemDraw, entitles all students and staff to avail of the latest version of ChemDraw Professional.
ChemDraw Professional is the complete drawing tool of choice for chemists and biologists to create publication-ready, scientifically intelligent drawings for use in electronic notebooks (ELNs), databases and publications. And can now also be used for querying chemical databases, including SciFinder®.
In order to access the software:
- Register with PerkinElmer using your UCC e-mail address.
- Activate your account via the email sent to the email address you used in the registration and log in.
- This will direct you to the PerkinElmer Download Centre. Once there, click on “home” under software and services. Click on the most recent version of “ChemDraw Professional” and in the next page download the appropriate windows or mac version of ChemDraw. Follow the subsequent download instructions.
- To find your activation code, please click on order history tab on left navigation pane, then click on applicable order # and scroll down to the activation code on right side. Note, this code will activate both WIN & MAC platforms. Use this code to activate the software during installation.
UCC Connect App
UCC Connect is an app designed to bring UCC right to you on your smartphone. Developed by Granite Digital for the UCC Student's Union, and in conjunction with the Digital Estate Working Group, it is the official UCC campus life application.
- Campus Map - a fully interactive Google map - features the most authoritative and comprehensive information about hundreds of locations on and off campus, including lecture halls, dining, shopping and recreation.
- Latest News and Events from sports, societies, and all across UCC.
- Departmental List featuring contact details.
- Customise your own app dashboard with the student services you use most.
- Stream your lectures.
- Special Offers and more!
Whether you’re a UCC student, faculty, staff member or visitor, UCC Connect will ensure the quickest and easiest access to all things UCC - right at your fingertips.
To install the app:
Intel Chemistry Computer Laborary
The School of Chemistry has its own Computer Laboratory independent of the facilities available from the Computer Centre. The lab is designed both for teaching and student use. Opening hours are 9 a.m. - 10 p.m, Monday-Friday and 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The lab is not open to students during teaching hours. The 33 desktop computers are continually updated with chemistry, pharmaceutical, statistical as well as office and internet programs. Bookings can be made by contacting email@example.com.
The laboratory is situated in the Food Science Building, Block A, level 3, Room 355.
Directions from Kane Building: Go to the ground floor Kane (Science) Building. Coming from the main entrance take the first door on the right. Then take the first left and continue over the foot bridge. Take a left at the end of the foot bridge and then take an immediate right. Continue through two food science corridors until the very end (staying on the same level), the Intel Lab (Intel Chemistry Computer Laboratory) is on your right.
UCC Chemical Society
Established in 1925, the UCC Chemical Society is one of the oldest societies in UCC and the oldest science-based society in Ireland. Annually 'ChemSoc' host numerous events, with their highlights being the Chemistry Ball and the John Tobin Chemistry Quiz. Full details on how to get involved or keep up to date with their events are available on their Facebook page.