External Examiners - Taught Programmes
Explore this page
Measures for Exams & External Examiners
Dear External Examiners,
In light of the Irish Government’s announcement to close all Higher Education Institutions until the 5th of May 2020, the University has agreed measures to facilitate the upcoming Spring and Summer Examinations to ensure the well-being of all students and staff. As formal onsite written examinations and in-class tests are not possible, substitute forms of assessments are being put in place for affected module(s) as a matter of urgency. The substitute forms of assessment ensure that the same competencies are assessed and that Learning Outcomes are met.
While the format will change, the examination dates and processing of results will adhere to the current timetable. Our overriding principles are that students are not academically disadvantaged and that high academic standards and equity across examination cohorts are maintained.
We are asking all UCC Programme Coordinators and External Examiners to note the following:
1. UCC Programme Coordinators are being asked to develop an alternative assessment where a formal, written, on campus examination sitting was due to take place. These alternate assessments will be in place shortly, having been approved by the relevant Head of Functional Area/School/Department, with oversight at College level. External Examiners may be asked to input into this process.
2. External Examiners will not visit the University and should instead liaise with their contact in the UCC School or Department. Please do not book flights or accommodation and please seek cancellation and refund for any which are already booked. Where travel expenses were incurred in good faith and are non-refundable, these will be reimbursed as normal by UCC.
3. Extern-examining will be facilitated through video-conferencing and/or through delivery of sample papers to the External Examiner in digital or physical format. Schools or Departments may, in some cases, arrange for video-conferencing between External Examiners and students. Programme Coordinators should confirm with their External Examiner which format they wish to use, considering efficiency of operations and the maintenance of academic standards. Secure transfer of information is paramount.
4. Payments for External Examiners will be processed as normal on receipt of the Examiner Report.
Finally, I would like to thank you for your service to UCC and hope that you are staying safe and well during this unprecedented global situation.
-Academic Affairs & Governance
IT/Technical Guidelines for Collaboration with External Examiners
Advice and IT/Technical Guidelines for Academic Units Collaborating with External Examiners - Covers key technical, security and platform based queries.
External Examiners Overview
The fundamental role of the External Examiner is to assure academic standards and advise on the quality of teaching, learning and assessment.
The External Examiner confirms that the academic standards of programmes, modules and the awards to which they lead are consistent with the academic outcomes specified, and are comparable to those achieved in the subject area in equivalent universities internationally.
External Examiners for University College Cork are appointed by the Senate of the National University of Ireland, having considered the recommendations of the University.
Guidelines for External Examiners
Guidelines for External Examiners Includes information on the role of the External Examiner and role of the Head of School/Department/Discipline
Online External Examiner Nomination & Extension Form (Taught Programmes)
Online External Examiner Nomination & Extension Form - Appointment & Extension of External Examiners (Taught Programmes)
Please click below for the link to the External Examiner Nomination & Extension Form. This form can be completed by all UCC staff members via their standard Microsoft/Office 365 logins*.
You will require the following information to complete this form:
UCC Academic Unit Details
• College/Management Unit:
• Academic Unit
UCC School/Department Administrative Contact Details
• Admin Full Name (Title, First and Surname), E-mail & Telephone
• Secondary Admin? If so, same details as above.
• Head of Academic Unit Full Name (Tile, First and Surname) & E-mail address
Proposed External Examiner Details
• External Examiner Name (Title, First and Surname)
• External Examiner Position & Current Institution of Employment of External Examiner:
• External Examiner Address for Correspondence & Telephone:
• Subject Area & Programme Name(s)
• Module Code(s) - if the entire programme is not examined (separated by commas):
• Year(s) of Study Examined:
• Does the proposed External Examiner have previous experience as an External Examiner in UCC within the last 5 academic years?
• If yes, please state year(s) from - to:
• Is this form for a new appointment of an external examiner or a proposal for a 1 year extension?
Nomination or Extension Details, Duration & Supporting Statements (Branching Depending on answer to Question)
• Name of outgoing External Examiner (if applicable): (ONLY APPEARS IF ‘NEW APPOINTMENT’ WAS SELECTED)
• Start Date of Required Appointment/Extension
• End Date of Required Appointment/Extension
• Statement in Support of Nomination/Extension
Conflict of Interest
• Does this nomination present a potential conflict of interest that should be addressed via UCC's Conflict of Interest Policy?
*For more information on Office 365, please see (this page includes a FAQ and How-To Guides):
Briefing Note to UCC Staff