Visa & Immigration Information


The International Office will be updating this page as we receive updated Immigration registration guidelines from the Irish government for the academic year 2020/2021.  As soon as the information becomes available to us we will update our website accordingly- updated 16 September 2021.     


29th August 2021- Designated States for Mandatory hotel Quarantine

Please see here for updated list.

To see how the Designated State list affects the arrival protocol, please see here


From 19th July 2021- EU Digital COVID Certificate (DCC)

Government advice to avoid non-essential travel, and related penalties will remain in place until 18 July. As and from 19 July this will be changed to advise citizens to travel safely and in accordance with public health guidance and restrictions.

Passengers arriving into Ireland from EU/EEA

From 19 July, subject to the prevailing public health situation, Ireland will operate the EU Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) for travel originating within the EU/EEA.

A DCC will show if a passenger:

  • is vaccinated against COVID-19;
  • has recovered from COVID-19; or
  • has a negative test result

Passengers arriving into Ireland with a DCC will not have to undergo quarantine.

Passengers arriving into Ireland from outside the EU/EEA

From 19 July, Ireland will also broadly align itself to the EU approach to non-essential travel into the EU from third countries.

To protect its citizens against importation of variants, an ‘emergency brake’ mechanism will be coordinated at EU level to react swiftly to the emergence of a variant of concern or variant of interest.

Government advice will be to avoid travel to a country where the emergency brake has been applied.  Please see website below for further details.



15th June- Minister Humphreys announces lifting of temporary visa restrictions

  • Restrictions, including the suspension of visa-free travel, lifted for nationals of South Africa, Brazil and other South American countries
  • Move is in line with the Government’s Resilience and Recovery Plan for Living with COVID-19
  • Travellers arriving into Ireland must continue to comply fully with all public health measures




12 May 2021 - Designated states: Mandatory Hotel Quarantine Exemptions

There are now exemptions for fully vaccinates persons.

If you are fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine and have the documents to prove that, you do not have to complete mandatory hotel quarantine on arrival in Ireland. Any dependents travelling with you, including children, will also be exempted from the requirement to complete mandatory hotel quarantine.

Official source.



11 April 2021 - Designated states: Mandatory Hotel Quarantine

New countries to be added from April 15:

Kenya, Bangladesh, Maldives, Pakistan, Armenia, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Turkey, Ukraine, Bermuda, Canada, United States of America, Curaçao.



26 March 2021 - Minister McEntee announces further temporary extension of immigration permissions.

Official Source.


23rd March- Mandatory Hotel Quarantine

All passengers arriving into Ireland from designated States after 4am on the morning of Friday, 26 March are now required to pre-book accommodation in a designated quarantine facility, and to pre-pay for their stay.

You must complete a mandatory hotel quarantine if you come from any country deemed 'high risk'.

This includes:

Official Source.



5th March 2021 - Mandatory Hotel Quarantine

The government intends to implement a system of Mandatory Quarantine for passengers arriving into Ireland from a list of designated high-risk countries.

Under current restrictions, passengers arriving from these countries must quarantine in their home for a period of 14 days.

Under current proposals, once the new system of mandatory quarantine is in place, it is intended that the following will apply to passengers arriving from designated States:

  • passengers will be required to complete 14 days of mandatory quarantine at a designated facility, this could be reduced if a not-detected COVID test is taken after ten days.



2nd March 2021 - Notice | Third Level Graduate Programme Update

Given the ongoing difficulties caused by Covid 19 and strictly on a one off basis, 2020/2021 international students who are otherwise eligible to apply for the Third Level Graduate Programme may remain in or return to their own countries to study online for semester 2.

Please read full advisory, as conditions apply.


17th February 2021- Mandatory Quarantine for Arrivals from 20 Countries

People arriving into Ireland from these countries will have to self-quarantine for a mandatory period of 14 days.  The Government is due to publish legislation that will require such passengers arriving here to complete this quarantine at a designated facility.

Angola, Austria, Botswana, Brazil, Burundi, Cape Verde, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Eswatini, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, Zambia, Zimbabwe             

*Mandatory quarantine at a designated facility already required for persons who arrive from Brazil and South Africa.


29th January 2021 - COVID-19 Visa Arrangements     

As part of Government efforts to tackle the pandemic, Minister for Justice Helen McEntee has signed an order that will impose new visa requirements on passport holders from a number of South American countries and South Africa. This order and the associated measures came into effect at midnight on Wednesday 27th January 2021. 

As of midnight 27th January 2021, in addition to countries who were visa required prior to that date, passport holders of the following countries are now also required to apply for an entry visa or transit visa, as appropriate, before travelling to Ireland:

  • Argentina
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • Chile
  • Colombia (transit visa now required – this country is already subject to entry visa requirements)
  • Ecuador (transit visa now required – this country is already subject to entry visa requirements)
  • Guyana
  • Paraguay
  • Peru (transit visa now required – this country is already subject to entry visa requirements)
  • South Africa
  • Suriname (transit visa now required – this country is already subject to entry visa requirements)
  • Uruguay



26th January 2021 - Government Introduction of Measures for International Travel

A range of mandatory quarantine measures will be introduced, applying to all international arrivals:

  • mandatory quarantine at a designated facility will be required for passengers who arrive in breach of the pre-departure negative/'not detected' PCR requirement
  • mandatory quarantine at a designated facility will be required for persons who arrive from Brazil and South Africa
  • in other cases, passengers will be required by law to quarantine at home

Application of these measures to passengers who are not EU/EEA citizens can be introduced by regulations. For all other passengers, it will be necessary to amend primary legislation. The detailed legislative work to implement this will get under way immediately.



25th January 2021 - Update from Cork Immigration Office 

This notice is for IRP Renewals.  Please do not present with Letters from Student Central as these letters do not confirm fees are in order. The IRP Renewal form clearly states that the correct letter comes from the Student Records & Examinations Office. This is the only letter that confirms fees are in order.

****Any students who do not have the correct letter will be sent away and will have to request a new appointment to register****.


Government extends requirement for pre departure Covid-19 testing to all countries

The Government has announced the extension of the requirement for a pre-departure negative/not detected PCR tests to passenger arrivals from ALL countries from Saturday 16th January 2021. The test must be taken within 72 hours prior to arrival.  See full press release for further details.



22nd December 2020 - Minister Announces Further Temporary Extension of Immigration Permissions

This notice applies to Immigration and International Protection permissions to reside in the State that are due to expire between 21st January 2021 and 20th April 2021 and supplements all previous extension notices. This is the sixth, and expected to be the final, extension of permissions implemented since the outset of the pandemic.  All such permissions that are due to expire from 21st January 2021 - 20th April 2021 are automatically renewed by the Minister to the 20th April 2021. The renewal of permission is on the same basis as the existing permission and the same conditions attach.



27th November 2020 - Update from Cork Immigration Office 

Letter of Registration- All students need to have the original hard copy of their UCC Letter of Registration.  For anyone unable to visit the Exams and Records Office in person immigration will accept a pdf copy, but it must be printed off.  This will be kept by immigration for their records.

All other documents required by immigration need to be original hard copy documents.  Digital copies will not be accepted.  



10th November 2020 - Visa Requiring Students 

If you are visa requiring you will need a valid multiple entry/single entry visa OR a valid IRP card to leave and re-enter Ireland.  If you have an IRP card that has been automatically extended (see advisory dated 18th September below) you will still need a visa to re-enter Ireland.



28th October 2020 - Update from Cork Immigration Office 

(i) Current wait times for acknowledgement of appointment request is 4-5 weeks.

(ii)  Following the acknowledgement of your email the current wait time for appointments is 2-3 months.

(iii) If you are visa requiring you need a valid multiple entry visa or valid IRP card to leave and re-enter Ireland.  If you have neither, you will need a visa to re-enter Ireland.

(iv) If you are not visa requiring and have no valid IRP card you will need evidence you have initiated the immigration process to re-enter Ireland.



18 September 2020 - Minister Announces Further Temporary Extension of Immigration Permissions

All such permissions that are due to expire from 20th September 2020 - 20th January 2021 are automatically renewed by the Minister to the 20th January 2021. The renewal of permission is on the same basis as the existing permission and the same conditions attach. 

Any permission that was renewed by the previous notices which therefore has a new expiry date between 20th September 2020 and 20th January 2021 is automatically renewed by this notice until 20th January 2021.

For full details please visit Inis



What is Immigration?

Immigration is permission to reside in a country. All non-EU student must register with Immigration to obtain long term permission from the Irish government to live in Ireland to pursue their studies.  Once registered visa requiring students will be able to apply for multi entry visas.

Please read the following information carefully

New Appointment System For Immigration Registration.pdf

updated 16th July 2021





How to make an appointment?

  1. Email with your Name and Date of Birth to arrange an appointment to register.
  2. One person per appointment.
  3. Each Student must request their own appointment using their own email address.
  4. Block Booking of appointments is strictly forbidden.
  5. Only Arrive 5 minutes prior to appointment time.
  6. Strictly No queuing is permitted.
  7. Students should use their Debit/Credit Card instead of a Bank Giro, where possible, as this will minimise the number of visits to the Immigration Office.
  8. If a student is using another person’s debit/credit card, the cardholder must be present with Photo I.D., they should remain outside the Garda Station until they are called by the student and asked to present at the registration desk.


You must bring:

  1. Appointment Confirmation email;
  2. Completed IRP form;
  3. All original supporting documentation detailed on IRP form.



Registering with Immigration to Stay in Ireland

Why do I need to register with Immigration?

  • All non-EU students must register with Immigration to obtain long term permission to reside in Ireland.
  • An Irish Residence Permit card* is issued to students granted long term permission to live in Ireland.
  • Please remember that you are a guest in Ireland and the issuing of your Immigration/Residency/card is at the discretion of the Irish government.  
  • *Irish Residence Permit (IRP) is in effect since December 2017.  It was formally known as the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB).  It is the same process, the name has just changed.

UK Citizens

UK citizens now have the option to register with immigration if they so wish, however it is not mandatory. 

This link will help you with your query.

*Updated 16 September 2021.*

When do I register with Immigration?

  • Students should register with Immigration before the Immigration date stamped in their passport, at port of entry/airport, expires.
  • Registration with Immigration Services must be renewed annually on or before date of expiry - failure to comply will incur severe penalties including possible deportation. Each student is responsible for maintaining their own valid immigration registration and valid GNIB card. 

What do I need to register with Immigration for the first time?

IRP Form First Time Registration 2021/2

What do I need to do to renew my registration with Immigration each year?

IRP Form Renew Registration 2021/2

You must renew your registration at least 2 week period before the expiry date.

When do I get my Immigration IRP card?

After submitting documentation, if everything is in order, your IRP card will be posted to you approximately 2-3 weeks later.  It will go to the address that you registered with immigration. 

*Do not travel outside of Ireland without this card in hand.  

Where do I register with Immigration?


Immigration Office Address
An Garda Síochána 
Anglesea Street, Cork

Immigration Office Opening Hours 
Monday to Friday 
09.30 - 12.00 and 
14.00 - 16.00 (GMT)

Further Visa Information

Additional Requirements for Unaccompanied Students under 18 years of age

All applicants must normally have reached 17 years of age by the 15th of January of the year following entry to UCC. 

According to the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service, INIS, unaccompanied students who are under 18 years of age must supply the following additional documentation;

  1. Birth Certificate- to be submitted with the application.
  2. Consent of parent/legal guardian- both parents/legal guardians must consent (in a notarised document) to the child coming to Ireland for study purposes and to the appointed legal guardian of the unaccompanied child student during the child's stay in Ireland.
  3. Copies of the biometric page of the parents/legal guardians passports or national identity cards showing their signature.
  4. Accommodation and vetting certificate of where the unaccompanied student will stay. Where the student is under 18 years, clearance from the Garda Síochána must be obtained in respect of where the student is living.

It should be noted that these immigration requirements may be subject to change, and incoming students should consult the INIS website for up-to-date information. 

In the absence of an adult who is willing to act as an appointed legal guardian for the duration of their stay, unaccompanied students under 18 years of age may wish to avail of the services of accredited guardianship agencies such as; or

Please also feel free to contact us with any queries you may have.


Multiple Entry/Re-Entry Visa

No longer requird, as of 13th May 2019.


Transit Visa

If you are travelling through other countries before arriving in Ireland please check if a transit visa is required.


Schengen/Euro Visa

The Schengen Area is comprised of 26 countries that have agreed to allow free movement of their citizens within this area as a single country. Ireland is not a member. Schengen Visa is the document issued by the appropriate authorities to the interested party for visiting/travelling to and within the Schengen Area. Details are available at


UK Visa

Unlike Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK and separate visa and immigration requirements apply. Details are available at  and

Third Level Graduate Scheme

Since 2007 students graduating from third level institutions in Ireland may apply for the Third Level Scheme. The student may be issued with permission to remain in Ireland for 15 months working or searching for work. No work permit is required when availing of the Third Level Graduate Scheme often referred to as the Graduate visa.

Full details are available on the INIS website and also in our Working in Ireland section.

*Please note that you are only eligible to apply for the IG visa once you have received final and official results for your course.  A statement of final results can be obtained from the Office of Exams and Records.  There is no need for a transcript.


International Office

Oifig Idirnáisiúnta

Roseleigh, Western Road, Cork, T12 R229

Ask a question

Contact us