Marine Biological Association Postgraduate Conference 2012
Wed, 14 Dec 2011
The Ninth Marine Biological Association Postgraduate Conference will be hosted by University College Cork from 21st to 24th May 2012 and abstract submission and registration is now open at the Conference Website.
This student-organised event is an annual scientific gathering of postgraduates and senior academics working in marine biology and related fields. The conference serves as an invaluable opportunity for postgraduate students to present research to fellow students and marine biologists, in a friendly environment.
Key stakeholders of the marine environment are also invited to attend such as key note speakers from the Marine Institute, Galway, the EPA and National Parks and Wildlife Services, to name a few.
The School of Biological Earth and Environmental Sciences in UCC has a long history of research in all aspects of animal and plant science, with a strong focus on marine biology. Several marine projects are currently being undertaken by research groups in BEES, ranging from fisheries management to shell fish aquaculture and marine mammal conservation.
The conference will encompass a broad range of themes in marine biological research including:
• Invasive marine species
• Marine renewables
• Pelagic ecology
• Benthic and intertidal ecology
• Aquaculture and fisheries
• Marine biodiversity and conservation
• Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning
• Climate change and ocean acidification
• Oceanography and interaction with marine life
• Brackishwater ecosystems, estuaries and mangroves
• Marine genetics, biotechnology and microbiology
• Marine pollution, diseases and immunology
• Marine ecosystem restoration and management strategies
• Marine animal/population behaviour and dynamics
The reception and registration of the conference will take place in the Butler Building of UCC in North Mall Campus on Monday 21st May 2012, and research presentations will be held in the Western gateway Building of University College Cork.
For more information, see http://www.corkmbaconference.com/