Ongoing Research Registration
Register for Next Year
All research students must register online each year until the submission of their thesis.
- Go to https://mystudentadmin.ucc.ie
- Enter your student number and password and click ‘Login’. If you have forgotten your password, you can request a new password here.
- Click on ‘online registration’ and follow instructions as directed, including payment of fees if you are self-funded.
- Check the Online Registration Instructions - Research , if you need them.
If you cannot register online, it might be due to one of the following reasons:
1. Outstanding Fee Payment
Contact the Fees Office to resolve this issue: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Request an Extension
If you have completed the maximum period of study allowed (6 years for PhD students), and you are not planning on submitting your thesis by your next deadline, you will be required to register for the next year. To be allowed to register you will need to re-apply to your Department/School for an extension and undergo a progress review. A detailed Progress Review Policy for Research Students must be conducted before an application for an extension can be made. Your academic unit is responsible for organising the progress review. Following the review, a Research Registration Change Request Form should be completed and the progress review must be submitted to:
3. Finishing PhD Track Programme
A detailed Progress Review Policy for Research Students must be conducted before an application for an extension can be made. Your academic unit is responsible for organising the progress review. Following the review, a Research Registration Change Request Form should be completed and the progress review must be submitted to:
If your issue is still not resolved, contact email@example.com .
- Your current student card will deactivate when your registration period is expired, so you'll no longer have access to university facilities.
- Check the expiry date on your student card: if your student card is still in date, it will reactivate once you register online.
- If your card is out of date, you will first need to register online and then contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be issued with a new Student ID card. Please note that Due to COVID-19 we have had to amend our processes around the production and collection of Student ID cards. We are working on this at present and will confirm once new procedures have been put in place with regard to accessing your Student ID card. Information will be made available on the SREO website at: https://www.ucc.ie/en/records-exams/
If you have completed your minimum registration requirements and have not yet submitted your thesis, you must register for the next academic year. If you are not in receipt of funding for the next academic year, the total fee payable is €1700. This payment is broken down as follows:
0 - 3 months
|This is the 3-month grace period, so no fee payment is required if your thesis is submitted by the end of this period.|
|3 - 6 months||
A fee payment of €850 is required for this additional 3-month block, if your thesis is submitted by the end of this period.
|6 - 12 months||A fee payment of €850 is required for this additional 6-month block, which completes the annual fee.|
Students entering Year 4 in the College of Science, Engineering & Food Science and the College of Medicine and Health, will need to complete the respective fee waiver form and submit to their college:
Funded by Research Grant/Department:
Funded by SUSI:
New Awardee: Please provide a copy of your SUSI award to the Fees Office: email@example.com,
Renewals: Please ensure you have renewed your grant with SUSI and that you provide a copy of your SUSI renewal confirmation to the Fees Office. Without proof of your award or renewal, you are liable for 50% of your total fee at registration.
Funded by your Company/Employer:
You will need to submit a letter to the Fees Office: firstname.lastname@example.org from your Company/Employer confirming funding and providing Company/Employer contact and invoice details. UCC will then invoice accordingly. Please ensure that your student number is on all correspondence pertaining to your funding.
If you have registered correctly for next year, you can get confirmation of registration through your student portal. Should you require proof of registration for your granting authority or a visa letter for the Gardai, you will need to go to Student Records and Examinations, First Floor, West Wing, Main Quad, UCC/ email@example.com and they will stamp your appropriate form or issue you with an appropriate letter.
Please read the online information about Postgraduate Training Modules carefully to register for modules as appropriate to your programme of study. PhD students are required to take a minimum of 15 credits.
If you have a query about changing your registration, you should contact:
- EU Students: Deirdre Daly at firstname.lastname@example.org / 021 4903241
- International Students: Anne-Marie Scarry at email@example.com / 021 490 4729