Current Dental Students
Prizegiving 25 May 2023
This annual event which is one of the highlights in the school calendar took place in the Glucksman Gallery on May 25 2023. It was followed by a reception at the Aula Maxima. Well done to all the students who were awared prizes.
To view a list of prizewinners click here Prizegiving 2023
Student life is not all work and no play. An essential part of the undergraduate experience is embracing the rich variety of experiences that student life can offer.
The university has many clubs and societies and more information on these can be found on http://www.ucc.ie/en/current/clubs-socs/
Dental students are very active socially especially through the Dental Society www.uccdentsoc.com
The highlight of the year is the Dental Ball which is held every autumn in one of the many fine hotels in Cork.
University life and study can be a challenge. The pressures of study; patient care; financial support and achieving an appropriate work-life balance can compound this. The teaching staff in the University Dental School & Hospital is very conscious of this and a mentoring programme has been established to support undergraduate dental students. Mentoring is a learning and supportive relationship were the Mentor (staff) will maintain an active awareness of issues relating to the students well-being, progress, governance and optimal learning. Each student is assigned a personal Mentor for their period of study in the School of Dentistry.
- Accommodation & Student Activities
- Careers Service
- Chaplaincy (AA meetings)
- Disability Support Service: The Disability Support Service is committed in as far as is reasonably possible to empowering students with disabilities achieve their educational and vocational goals. Tel: (021) 490 2985
- Graduate Studies
- Fees Office
- Mature Student Office
- International Education Office: Provides information for students on academic services and student facilities on campus; important addresses at UCC and useful links. Tel: (021) 490 4734
- Student Health: The Student Health Department aims to promote the maintenance of sound bodies and sound minds in a student population which faces increasing challenges each year. Tel: (021) 490 2311
- Student Counselling and Development: Student Counselling and Development provide a full range of personal counselling services & provide student support and learning through workshops and seminars. Tel: (021) 490 3565
- UCC Student Union: UCC SU covers the non-academic aspects of your education: from grants & accommodation to sexual and mental health issues. Tel (021) 490 2181
- Peer Assisted Student Support (PASS): Ulink peer support is a new service in UCC where current students are trained and supported to help 1st Year Students settle into UCC Student Life. PASS Co-ordinator, Contact: Dave Carey, Tel: (021) 490 5188, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards & Prizes
There are numerous awards, prizes and bursaries open to dental students who are studying at UCC. Some of these are internal and awarded by UCC and others are awarded by external bodies. Please see below information regarding these awards.
Quercus Scholarship is open to all students studying at UCC aswell as new entrants appling to study at UCC.
SURE AWARD - Summer Undergraduate Research Experience
One awards is available annually for dentistry students in from BDS 1 - BDS IV and the application date is normally around February/March of each year
The award covers an 8 week period in the summer recess and a stipend of 180 per week plus an allowance for consumables (each award will not exceed €2000)
Leo Heslin Medal - https://facultyofdentistry.ie/prizes/leo-heslin-medal-winners
Costello Medal - information to follow
Seamus Keating Prize - https://facultyofdentistry.ie/prizes/seamus-keating-prize-winners
Dr Aidan Meade Annual Award - https://jida.ie/the-dr-aiden-meade-annual-award/
William Fenlon Medal - https://facultyofdentistry.ie/prizes/william-fenlon-medal-winners
Dr H H Stewart Medical Scholarship - https://www.nui.ie/awards/UndergraduateScholarships/