Hoards: Viking Age Gold and Silver from Ireland
This project will result in the publication of study and catalogue of the eighty-eight Viking-age gold and silver hoards containing non-numismatic material of Scandinavian character from Ireland, c. AD 800-c.1000, and will discuss these finds in the context of related hoards from Britain and Scandinavia. Undertaken in conjunction with the National Museum of Ireland, this project details the hoards and their components and examines the social and economic impacts of the Vikings on early medieval Ireland.
|Previously published work by the author in this area|
- ‘Scoto-Scandinavian ‘ring-money’ and Ireland’, in V. Turner et al (eds), Proceedings from the Seventeenth Viking Congress, Shetland 2013, Edinburgh (in press).
- ‘Hoards’ and ‘ring-money’, in J. Jesch and C. Lee (eds), The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of The Viking World, Wiley-Blackwell, London (in press).
- ‘Fighting with silver: the Woodstown assemblage’, in H. Clarke and R. Johnson (eds), Before and after the Battle of Clontarf: the Vikings in Ireland and beyond, Four Courts Press, Dublin, 2015, pp. 161-176.
- ‘Silver’, in M. Hurley and I. Russell (eds), Woodstown: a Scandinavian settlement in Co. Waterford, Dublin, 2014, pp. 194-222.
- ‘Personal Ornaments in Silver’: Day’s Collection of Viking-Age Silver’, Journal of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society 119 (2014), pp. 138-61.
- ‘Deposition, discovery and dispersal: a Viking-age hoard from Castlelohort Demesne’, Journal of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society 118 (2013), pp. 39-59.
- ‘Viking Dublin: enmities, alliances and the cold gleam of silver’, in D.M. Hadley and L.Ten Harkel (eds), Everyday Life in Viking-Age Towns: social approaches to towns in England and Ireland, c.800-1100, Oxbow, Oxford, 2013, pp. 35-60 (with E. Purcell).
- ‘Viking raiding, gift-exchange and Irish metalwork in Norway’, in A. Reynolds and L. Webster (eds.), Early Medieval Art and Archaeology in the Northern World: studies in honour of James Graham-Campbell, Brill, Leiden, 2013, pp. 809-823.
- ‘A Great Famine discovery of Viking gold: Vesnoy, Strokestown, County Roscommon’, in J. Crowley et al (eds), Atlas of the Great Irish Famine, Cork, Cork University Press, 2012, pp. 630-631.
- ‘Bullion rings in Viking-age Britain and Ireland’, in S. Sigmundsson (ed), Viking Settlements and Viking Society: papers from the proceedings of the Sixteenth Viking Congress, Iceland, 2009, University of Iceland Press, Reykjavik, 2012. pp 393-406.
- ‘Hiberno-Scandinavian broad-band arm-rings’, in J. Graham-Campbell, The Cuerdale hoard and related Viking-age silver and gold, from Britain and Ireland, in the British Museum, British Museum, London, 2011, pp. 94-100.
- ‘Bullion rings’, in J. Graham-Campbell, The Cuerdale hoard and related Viking-age silver and gold, from Britain and Ireland, in the British Museum, British Museum, London, 2011, pp. 87-88.
- ‘Kerry’s Viking-age silver: a legacy of antiquarians, collectors and dealers’, in G. Murray (ed), Medieval Treasures of Kerry, Tralee, 2010, pp. 19-31.
- 'Colonel Sempronious Stretton and the reprovenancing of a Viking-age hoard' In: Sheehan, J. and O Corráin, D (eds). The Viking Age: Ireland and the West. Proceedings of the Fifteenth Viking Congress, Cork, 18-27 August 2005, Four Courts Press, Dublin, 2010, pp. 380-389.
- ‘The character and cultural context of the Inis Cáthaig/Scattery Island hoard’, The Other Clare 34 (2010), pp. 23-28
- ‘The Viking-age silver hoard from Kilmacomma, Co. Waterford: a Woodstown connection?’, Peritia: Journal of the Medieval Academy of Ireland 20 (2009), pp. 276-296.
- 'Viking-age gold and silver from Irish crannogs and other watery places'. Journal of Irish Archaeology , 17 (2009), pp. 28-41 (with J. Graham-Campbell).
- 'The Huxley hoard and Hiberno-Scandinavian arm-rings', in Graham-Campbell, J. and Philpott, R (eds), The Huxley Viking Hoard: Scandinavian settlement in the North-West . National Museums Liverpool, Liverpool, 2009, pp. 58-69.
- 'Catalogue of the Huxley hoard', in Graham-Campbell, J and Philpott, R (eds), The Huxley Viking Hoard: Scandinavian settlement in the North-West . Liverpool: National Museums Liverpool, 2009, pp. 51-57 (with J. Graham-Campbell).
- ‘A hoard of Viking-age ‘ring-money’ from the Isle of Man re-discovered’, Proceedings of the Isle of Man Natural History and Antiquarian Society XI (4) (2007), pp. 527-40 (with J. Graham-Campbell
- 'The form and structure of Viking-age silver hoards: the evidence from Ireland', in Graham-Campbell, J. and Williams, G. (eds), Silver Economy in the Viking Age, Left Coast Press, Walnut Creek, 2007, pp. 141-54.
- 'The Viking-age hoard from Castlefreke' Ardfield/Rathbarry Journal 5 (2006), pp. 41-43.
- 'Viking-age hoards in Scotland and Ireland: regional diversities', in A. Mortensen and S. Arge (eds), Viking and Norse in the North Atlantic: Select Papers from the Proceedings of the Fourteenth Viking Congress, Torshavn, 2001, Tórshavn, Societatis Scientiarum Faeroensis, 2005, pp. 323-28.
- 'The Cloghermore silver hoard', in M. Connolly and F. Coyne, Underworld: Death and Burial in Cloghermore Cave, Co. Kerry, Wordwell, Dublin, 2005, pp. 135-54.
- 'Social and economic integration in Viking-age Ireland: the evidence of the hoards', in J. Hines et al (eds), Land, Sea and Home: Viking-Age Settlement in Britain and Ireland (Society for Medieval Archaeology Monograph 20 (2004), Maney, Leeds, pp. 177-88.
- ‘Ball-type brooch’, ‘Neck-ring’, ‘Ringed pins’, in P. McNamara et al (eds), The Hunt Museum: Essential Guide, London, 2002, no’s 100, 113, 118.
- 'Ireland's Viking-age hoards: sources and contacts', A. Larsen (eds). The Vikings in Ireland, Vikingskibmuseum, Roskilde, 2001, pp. 51-59.
- 'Ireland's early Viking Age silver hoards: components, structure and classification', Acta Archaeologica 71 (2000), pp. 49-63
- 'Different ages, varying perspectives: the phenomenon of hoarding', in A. Desmond et al (eds), New Agendas in Irish Prehistory: Papers in Commemoration of Liz Anderson, Wordwell, Bray, 2000, pp. 177-88 (with D. Maher).
- 'Viking Age silver and gold from County Clare', in C. Ó Murchadha (eds), County Clare Studies, Ennis, 2000, pp. 30-41.
- 'Viking Age hoards from Munster: a regional tradition?', in M.A. Monk and J. Sheehan (eds), Early Medieval Munster: archaeology, history and society , Cork University Press, Cork, 1998, pp. 147-63.
- 'Early Viking Age silver hoards from Ireland and their Scandinavian elements', in H.B. Clarke, M. Ní Mhaonaigh and R. Ó Floinn (eds), Ireland and Scandinavia in the Early Viking Age, Four Courts Press, Dublin, 1998, pp. 166-202.
- 'A hoard of Hiberno-Viking arm-rings, probably from Scotland', Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 125 (1995), pp. 771-778 (with J. Graham-Campbell).
- 'Silver and gold hoards: status, trade and wealth in the Viking Age' Archaeology Ireland 9.3 (1995), pp. 19-22.
- Review of J.A. Graham-Campbell, The Viking Age Gold and Silver of Scotland, Antiquity, 1995.
- 'The Rathmooley hoard and other finds of Viking-age silver from Co. Tipperary', Tipperary Historical Journal 8 (1992), pp. 210-216.
- 'Coiled Armrings: an Hiberno-Viking silver arm-ring type', Journal of Irish Archaeology 6 (1991), pp. 41-53.
- 'A pair of Viking-age animal-headed armrings from Co. Cork'. Journal Cork Historical and Archaeological Society 95 (1990), pp. 41-54.
- 'A Viking-age silver arm-ring from Portumna, Co. Galway' Journal of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society 30 (1990), pp. 125-130.
- 'A hoard of dispersed Viking-age arm-rings from the Liffeyside, Co. Dublin'. The Antiquaries Journal 67 (1987), pp. 351-353 (with S. Briggs).
- 'A Viking-age silver hoard from the River Shannon, Co. Clare' North Munster Antiquarian Journal 24 (1982), pp. 103-104.