Higher Diploma in Archaeology
A one-year full-time programme for non-Archaeology graduates who already have a degree, preferably in the area of Arts or Sciences, and wish to study archaeology intensively over one academic year. The programme is designed for those who:
- Have an active interest in archaeology and want to undertake a full-time course of study.
- Are currently employed in a branch of archaeology and wish to obtain an academic qualification in the subject.
- Require a conversion course to apply for postgraduate study such as the one year MA degree course or the MPhil/PhD at UCC. Completion of the Higher Diploma course does not guarantee a place on a postgraduate course. Students are required to achieve a mark of 60% in the final diploma award to be eligible for postgraduate studies in Archaeology.
|What do you study?|
This is a full-time programme over one academic year during which the student will take courses in Archaeology to the equivalent of 60 credits (or 30 credits each year, part-time). The programme is made up of modules from the Second and Third Year courses in the undergraduate BA degree.
Students are required to take core modules to a value of 20 credits. The remaining 40 credits will be chosen by the student in consultation with the Higher Diploma Coordinator, having regard to timetable constraints and suitability of course combinations. Students with little previous knowledge of archaeology may also audit all or part of the First Year archaeology course (AR1001) if they so wish.
Closing Date for Applications: September 1st each year (but best to apply earlier in summer)
Application and Course Information see
- Full-time Higher Diploma in Archaeology is PAC code CKA03
- Part-time Higher Diploma in Archaeology (over two years) is PAC code CKA19