Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply as an EU student?

EU applicants are processed online through the CAO and this is outlined on our website at http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/how/.  

What costs are incurred when attending UCC?

The following figures serve as an indication of the overall expenses per month. This is a guide only.

Cost of Living per Month:

Accommodation - Room €300 - €650
Security Deposit €300*
Food (eating on campus) €375
Heat and Light (based on three sharing) €60
Textbooks and Stationery (depending on course) €75
Personal Expenses (social functions, sport, phone) €250
Total per month €1000 - €1350

* Refundable

Extra costs can incur such as printing, photocopying and course-specific books depending on your course. 

Possible additional costs (depending on course): Field trips, Coaching Costs, Lab Equipment, Placement Costs, Immunisations, Dental Kits.

Please note that some accommodation is payable in two instalments, usually in Septemeber and December.

Make an appointment to speak with:

Cian Power

Student Budgetary Advisor

E: studentbudgetingadvice@ucc.ie

T: +353 (0)21 490 2151

What are the points for 2018 entry?

We cannot confirm at this stage points required for 2018 entry. This will not be known until CAO offers are issued in August 2018.

Is there an orientation programme for first year students?

There is a university-wide orientation programme, which coincides with Registration Part 2.  All first year undergraduate students must attend Orientation.  Transfer students from other institutions are also encouraged to participate.

Orientation Dates


Can I change my Registration/Orientation Day?

We would advise all students, where possible, to attend on the day allocated to them. 

I don't have the points for the course I want, what can I do?

If you are not offered a place on a degree course, you can

  • choose to repeat your Leaving Certificate.  Applicants are considered on points attained at a single sitting.  However, matriculation requirements can be attained over several sittings except in the case of Medicine (CK701). 
  • choose a FETAC course. There are 26 links from FETAC courses into degree courses at UCC. Further information on FETAC

If I don't accept my 1st preference, will I get offered my 2nd?

Unfortunately no. When you recieve an offer through the CAO, you will not receive an offer for a lower preference in subsequent rounds.

I just received an offer, can I defer my place?

Yes you can make an application for a deferral. Please do not accept your place and deferral request should be made within 3 days of recieving the offer. The deferral policy and applicatiom form is available on our website at http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/admissionspolicies/

What can I do if I discover I don't like the course I'm on?

Advice should be first sought through your tutor/mentor and/or Department/Faculty or School office. 

You should also speak to the First Year Experience Coordinator, Nóirín Deady. Nóirín will give you support and guidance and will discuss the option to change course with you. 

E: n.deady@ucc.ie

T: +353 (0)21 490 2780

It is also useful to be aware of the financial implications if you decide to withdraw from your degree programme. If you wish to return to third level education at a later date, eligibility for State funding will be affected by the date of withdrawal.

Please note Withdrawal Dates and Fees:

  • The 2017 withdrawal dates are 16th October and the 31st January 2018
  • The university will claim 50% of tuition fees if students withdrew after the 16th October and on or before 31st January
  • The university will refund 100% of the student contribution fee up to 16th October 2017. The Student Contribution Fee for the 2017/18 academic year is €3,000
  • After the 14th October and up to 31 January a refund of 50% of any amount paid will be made
  • The capitation fee of €165 is non-refundable.

For further information on fees.

Can I change from one course to another?

Transfers within UCC to another course

A Change of Course application must be received from a currently registered student (in UCC) in the Admissions Office. Please check with admissions@ucc.ie for the specific date. The following requirements apply:

  • you must have the points required for entry to the course you wish to transfer to;
  • you must satisfy the minimum entry (matriculation) requirements for that programme;
  • there must be a place available.

Please make an appointment with the  First Year Experience Coordinator in order to discuss your application.  The application form is available in the Admissions Office, West Wing, Main Quad.


Nóirín Deady.

E: n.deady@ucc.ie

T: +353 (0)21 490 2780

You should be aware that changing  between courses after the start of term may adversely affect your academic performance, depending on how much of the academic year you miss. Change of Course is permitted strictly on the basis that you accept that you may be at such a disadvantage.

Further information on Change of Course

After one year in UCC can I transfer to a different programme?

There may be an option for some internal transfers yes but the majority of the cases would require an applicant to make an application through the CAO and to compete for a first year place. Further queries on this can be directed to the Admissions Office

I registered in UCC, can I change my subjects?

If you visit Student Records and Examinations  website, all the information is available there on changing subjects.

Is Mathematics a requirement for UCC?

Matriculation requirments vary for each programme and a full list of our matriculation requirements is available on our website:  http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/entryreqs/.

Where do I get a letter for SUSI confirming my offer?

Once you are a registered student you will need to call the Students Examination and Records Office in the West Wing to obtain this letter. 

Where can I find information on accommodation?

Visit Campus Accommodation or http://accommodation.ucc.ie for private lettings and house shares. 


What is the age requirement to attend UCC?

CAO applicants for full-time degrees must normally have reached 17 years of age by the 15th January of the year following entry to UCC. If you are below this age, a special application for exemption from the age requirement must be made in writing to the Admissions Officer, and should preferably be accompanied by a letter of support from the School Principal and a parent. Please see the following link: http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/general/info013.html

What opportunities are there to study abroad?

Each year an increasing number of students take advantage of the opportunity to participate in work and study abroad programmes. 

Whether it is through the Erasmus programmes in Language and Cultural Studies, the BComm (International) degree, European Studies, Law with French, Law with Irish or enrolling in American or Canadian institutions for a term or a year, UCC students are gaining invaluable experience and a broader perspective.  Most degree courses offer work placement opportunities both abroad and at home.

The UCC Internship programme is a fanstastic opportunity for you to gain valuable work experience.


Does UCC offer services for students with disabilities?

The Disability Support Services Office assists students with disabilities to achieve their academic goals and make a successful transition to employment and independence.  Students registered with the service include those with visual impairment, those who are deaf or hearing impaired, wheelchair users and those with mobility difficulties, students with specific learning disabilities, including dyslexia, students with mental health difficulties and students with significant ongoing illness.

Visit Disability Support Service and DARE 

  • alternative examination arrangements
  • assessment and training in assistive technologies
  • career support and work placement
  • tutor support programme
  • dyslexia support programme
  • access to educational resources in alternative media formats for blind and visually impaired students
  • irish sign language interpreters are contacted where possible
  • note-takers are contracted where possible
  • assistance with funding applications to support individual education needs
  • on-campus transport services

How safe is the UCC campus?

UCC is located in a mostly residential area off the Western Road in the south side of Cork city.

It is an open campus, with 24-hour security personnel. Security are actively involved with maintaining a safe and friendly environment. 

It is important for all, both students and staff, to be vigilant about their surroundings and not compromise safety.

Further information on safety



What clubs and societies are there in UCC?

There are many clubs and societies which offer something for everyone whether your interests lie in athletics, martial arts, field sports, yoga or dance among others.  Further information on Clubs and Societies

Where can I get a form stamped for a J1?

All forms confirming your registration in UCC can be stamped by Student Records & Examinations Office, which is located in the West Wing, Main Quad.

Where do I get a children's welfare form stamped?

Once you have completed registration online, forms can be stamped at Student Records and Examinations Office which is located in the West Wing, Main Quad. 

What are the catering facilities on campus?

The main student restaurant (known popularly as the 'rest') is centrally situated near the Quad. 

However, there are tons of other places where you can eat.

Outlet Location
UCC Central Near the Boole Library
Café Express Above UCC Central
ELements Café Ground floor Kane Science Building
Bio Café Ground floor Bio-Science Building
Old College Bar Above UCC Central on the 1st floor
The Coffee Dock O'Rahilly Building - ground floor
Leeside Restaurant Tyndall Building, opposite Mercy Hospital
Brookfield Café Brookfield Health Sciences Complex
Enterprise Café Enterprise Centre
Pharmacy Café Cavanagh Pharmacy Building - ground floor
Western Gateway Café Western Gateway IT Building, Western Rd. 
Nosh+Coffee Mardyke Sports Arena
Café Oasis Student Centre - ground floor
Café Panorama Student Centre - first floor
The Bagel Box Castlewhite Complex

Admissions Office


1st floor, West Wing, Main Quadrangle, T12 K8AF