- Tours and Events
- Open Days
- Making the most of Open Days
Making the most of Open Days
Explore the Live Q&A ~ Virtual platform
The Live Q&A ~ Virtual platform is meant to replicate the experience of attending an event but in a virtual world. From auditoriums to booths to virtual reality experiences, our Live Q&A ~ Virtual platform will give you an opportunity to explore UCC's courses and services from the comfort of your home.
Establish your interests
Establish your interests - what do you enjoy learning about most, either inside or outside of school?
Not sure? Check out Nurturing Bright Futures for some help with this.
Any other interests?
University is about more than just taking a degree. Our student experience, 100s of clubs and societies all make for an exciting time outside of your lectures. Make a note of the clubs and societies that you're interested in so that you can follow up with them during the open days.
Don't forget to research the workshops/events that require pre-registration and sign up for the ones of interest to you.
Identify what's missing
Make a list of questions you’d like answered – get advice on what questions to ask from your family and friends.
Don't be shy!
It can be daunting trying to decide what course is right for you - but we are here to help.
Each stand, course talk, and activity will have staff or current students from UCC who will be there to answer your questions!
Get a feel for the subjects and courses
Do homework before coming on the Open Day. Check out each course page and have a look at the modules (subject areas) you will take each year.
Take the time to explore our campus on the day. Even if you have a few subjects in mind, and don't have time to experience them on the day, you can visit our Open Day Virtual platform which is open all year round, and there you can explore your interests in more depth and at your own pace. You'll even be able to leave questions or participate in our live Q&A in January and again in May.
Create your own Agenda
Explore the timetable, and shortlist those events, course talks, and information stands you want to visit on the day. There will also be a lot of opportunities to participate in activities provided by our Sports Clubs and Societies. Make sure you watch out for some of the fun events, not just the academic ones!
On the Day!
- Get there early to make the most of your day.
- Wear comfortable, practical clothes and shoes and bring an umbrella (just in case!).
- Make sure your phone is fully charged so you can use it to take notes/record voice notes or take photos on the day. (You can charge your phone in the Student Hub.)
- Remember to take a pen and notebook to jot down ideas and contact details.
- Try and make all the events you have earmarked.
- Chat with lecturers, current students, and staff; ask them your questions, or just find out what they have to say.
- Take time to find out about our award-winning student support services.
- Do one of the many campus tours to explore the sights and sounds of UCC and to get a feel for the facilities including Mardyke Sports Arena, Skills Centre, Shops, the Lowercase Bookshop, etc.
- Ask about accommodation options nearby and check them out (if you have time).
- Experience what student societies and clubs are available.
Don't forget to bring a bag for any freebies and swag! :)