The Business Law Network
The Business Law Network is a network of scholars based at the School of Law at University College Cork. The members and their relevant research areas are as follows:
- Professor Mary Donnelly's research in this area relates primarily to financial services, in particular, credit services; and to consumer protection, with particular focus on financial services and on the digital environment. She is especially interested in evaluating the effectiveness of consumer protection measures in practice.
- Professor Steve Hedley's research and teaching activities cover private law generally, especially contract, restitution and theory of obligations; as well as e-commerce. He is currently working on a book on Modern Private Law Theory.
- Dr Jonathan McCarthy's research is based on financial and corporate law. His recent research is primarily related to the regulation of technological innovations in finance, Irish and European financial law and regulation, and the suitability of existing legal processes for small-and medium-sized enterprises.
- Professor Irene Lynch Fannon (Professor Emerita at UCC) is a corporate law scholar. One of her main research interests is EU cross-border corporate insolvency and rescue procedures. She was the PI of JCOERE- an EU funded project on judicial co-operation in this area.
- Mr Declan Walsh teaches and researches in the EU competition law area. He is the Vice Dean of International Affairs at the School of Law at University College Cork. He is responsible for student engagement with the institutions of the EU and for continued engagement with Alumni of the School of Law at UCC who work in the EU institutions and in related areas across the European Union.
- Dr Fidelma White is a Senior Lecturer in Law, who researches, publishes and teaches in the areas of commercial law (in particular sale of goods and agency law); e-commerce law and consumer law.
- The Hon. Mr Justice Frank Clarke, President of the Supreme Court
- Judge Anthony Collins, Judge of the General Court of the European Union
- Mrs Jane Marshall is a retired former partner in McCann Fitzgeralds Solicitors, Dublin where she practised insolvency and rescue law for over 30 years. Mrs Marshall has joined the School of Law as an Adjunct Professor and will contribute to the Masters class in European and International Insolvency and Rescue Law, mentioned above. She is also on the Advisory Board for the EU funded JCOERE Grant (see below).
- Gillian Keating is a Commercial Partner in RDJ Solicitors Cork. She specialises in corporate and commercial transactions and contributes to the BCL (Law and Business) and to the LLM (Business and Law).
- Dr Elise Lefeuvre has worked as an investment banker since 2016 covering listed companies in the DACH region (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) and Benelux. She is currently covering DAX30 companies at BNPP.
- Thomas Bullman’s PhD thesis is entitled ‘The AIFMD Disclosure Regime: An Analysis of its Support for Financial Stability and Investor Protection’: Supervisor: Professor Mary Donnelly and Dr Jonathan McCarthy.
- Deirdre Leahy is working on “Rethinking strategies for regulation of cross-border online gambling in the EU: an examination of legal and policy frameworks”, Supervisor: Dr Fidelma White.
- Colin Manning is researching on “Reconciling Divergent Standards for Acquired Distinctiveness in European Trade Mark Law”, Supervisor: Dr Fidelma White.
- Michael Boland is working on a PhD entitled “Theorising Irish Company Law: Locating Irish Company Law within Entity Theory”. He is the recipient of a Government of Ireland Scholarship and is supervised by Professor Lynch Fannon.
- Bernard Long is working on “Gambling addiction and the role of self-exclusion”, Supervisors: Professor Mary Donnelly and Dr Fidelma White.
Recent PhD Graduates
- 2021 - Dr Mike Ball “The Effect of the Fiscal Compact Treaty on Constitutionalism”, Supervisors: Drs. Maria Cahill & Fidelma White.
- 2021 - Dr Roz Breen “Reckless trading: Critical Analysis and Proposals for Reform”. Supervisor: Professor Irene Lynch-Fannon
- 2021 - Dr Elise Lefeuvre “Assessment of the Bank Resolution and Recovery Directive in light of Anglo Irish Bank”. Supervisors: Professor Mary Donnelly and Dr Jonathan McCarthy
- 2020 - Dr Kevin O'Sullivan "Enforcing Copyright Online in an Age of Internet User Fundamental Rights: Reconciling Competing Paradigms at the User Level", Supervisor: Professor Steve Hedley.
- 2019 - Dr Caterina Gardiner “Regulation of Mass-Market Standard Form Consumer Contracts: Addressing the Challenges of the online Market”, Supervisor: Dr Fidelma White.
- 2018 – Dr Anthony O’Dwyer “The Artists’ Resale Right Directive 2001/84/EC: a Socially Orientated Reconceptualisation – Fomenting Social Inclusion and Remunerative Parity”, Supervisor: Dr Fidelma White.
- 2018 - Dr Emilie Ghio "Harmonisation or Collision? European Insolvency and Rescue Law. A Case Study on the Functioning of the Internal Market.", Supervisor: Professor Irene Lynch Fannon.
- 2018 - Dr Jonathon McCarthy "An analysis of the implications of the law of company rescue for small and medium-sized enterprises in Ireland", Supervisor: Professor Mary Donnelly.