News and Events
UCC School of Law Hosting Masterclass on The Future of Asylum Reception in Ireland
Students are invited to participate in a masterclass following our upcoming conference 'Beyond McMahon – the future of asylum reception in Ireland’, organised in conjunction with Nasc.
Three years on from the publication of the McMahon Report of the Working Group on the Protection Process and Direct Provision, this conference will re-examine the Irish asylum reception system and explore potential alternatives.
The conference, which is kindly supported by the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission, and masterclass will provide students with the opportunity to learn from a range of national and international speakers.
This conference is free, but ticketed. Tickets and further information are available here.
9am - 4pm, Wednesday 25th April 2018
Lecture Theatre G03, Western Gateway Building, University College Cork
Confirmed participants include:
- Dr. Bryan McMahon, Former High Court Judge
- Teresa Mendes, Director of the Portuguese Refugee Council
- Sabir Zazai, Director of the Scottish Refugee Council
- Emily Logan, Chief Commissioner of the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission
- Enda O'Neill, Head of Office and designated official, UNHCR
- Eugene Banks, Principal Officer, Reception and Integration Agency, Department of Justice & Equality
- Dr. Dug Cubie, Lecturer, UCC School of Law
- Simmy Ndlova, Student at AIT; former member of the Working Group
- Luke Hamilton, Irish Refugee Council
- Lucky Khambule, Movement of Asylum Seekers Ireland
- Dr. Liam Thornton, Lecturer, UCD School of Law
- Fiona Hurley, Legal Services Manager, Nasc
- Stephen N'gang'a, Core Group of Asylum Seekers
For further information, contact Dr Dug Cubie via firstname.lastname@example.org.