Sleeping well directly affects your mental and physical health. Neglecting it can take a serious toll on your daytime energy, productivity, emotional balance, and even your weight
Benefits of Sleep
- Better assimilation and recall of information
- Makes us less stress reactive (restorative)
- Greater problem solving, creativity and sustained attention
Optimising your Sleep (Sleep Hygiene)
- Keep sleep and wake times regular (7-9hrs) and in sync with your bodies natural sleep-wake cycle
- Stop studying at least an hour before sleep
- Develop a bedtime routine (wash face, read, do a relaxation technique or some stretches).
- Avoid use of phones and other screens for an hour before bedtime
- Exercise during the day as this will aid sleep
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine or large meals in the evening
- Have a quiet, comfortable and cool sleeping environment
- [Source: (The National Sleep Foundation, 2015; Vandekerckhove & Cluydts, 2010) [LifeMatters study and exams presentation] and Helpguide.org]
Check out the HelpGuide.org guide on sleeping better for a comprehensive look at sleeping better.