Welcome to the Student Experience Office Website
An excellent Student Experience is central to the success of the University in fulfilling its key responsibility to provide a positive environment for teaching, learning and research. The post of Head of the Student Experience leads the strategic development and direction of policy and practice related to the Student Experience. See further information contained below within Student Experience Office: Statement of Service.
Student Experience Office - Mission Statement
To facilitate a world class student experience through which all UCC students are empowered and supported to achieve their goals.
Our approach is a holistic one, with the personal and professional development of our students throughout the student journey at its core.
What is the Student Experience?
The core of the student experience is a student’s chosen course of study with an emphasis on independent learning and encouragement to challenge received ideas. This is supported by a range of services, characterised by rigorously high standards and top quality pastoral care. The experience of a community environment and hospitable and inviting campus, and the opportunities which UCC provides in music and the arts, on the sports field, in special interest activities and in volunteering form a key part of student life at UCC.
Student Experience Office:Statement of Service
- UCC strives to facilitate a world class student experience, incorporating high quality teaching, learning and research and a rich and dynamic range of opportunities for students to engage in activities outside the curriculum. Our approach is a holistic one, with the personal and professional development of our students at its core.
- The Student Experience Office uses a thematic approach to supporting and developing the student experience. These themes include developing cross-service projects (such as improving the use of technology across all services), supporting transition into UCC, supporting students to progress and achieve their potential, facilitating high levels of engagement in student life, providing a focus on employability and transition to the world of work, and supporting student health and wellbeing.
- The Student Experience Office leads the strategic development and direction of policy and practice related to the UCC Student Experience in a wide range of functions and activities.
- The Director of Student Experience is a member of the University Senior Management Team and a wide variety of University committees. The Director of Student Experience also works closely with other senior managers, such as VP Teaching & Learning, Heads of College and the Academic Secretary to ensure that policies and procedures relating to the student experience are appropriate and effective.
- The Director of Student Experience has line management and budgetary responsibility for the following services:
- Access & Participation comprising: Disability Support Service; Mature Students; UCC Plus+
- Accommodation & Community Life
- Career Services
- Granary Theatre
- Sport & Physical Activity
- Student Counselling & Development
- Student Health
- Student Societies
- Students Union Administration
- Heads of each Service meet regularly together through the Student Services Group (SSG), chaired by the Director of Student Experience.
- Students wishing to provide feedback or those requiring assistance or advice in relation to the student experience can call/email/visit the Student Experience Office and queries will be handled directly in a timely manner or referred to a more appropriate area within the university.