The Blayney Prize
At a glance
- Value: €3,000
- You must be a current UCC Student to be eligible for this prize
- Questions about this prize can be directed to email@example.com
The Blayney Prize is one of the longest established prizes in UCC. It is named after Lord Blayney, a medical man of distinction, who died in 1874 and made a bequest to the former Queen's University of Ireland.
This prize currently valued at c. €3,000 is awarded annually on the results of the Summer Final Medical Examination provided that:
- The successful candidate has obtained the highest aggregate of marks in all modules at this Examination.
- He/she has obtained honours in this Examination.
- He/she has been a student in University College Cork, for the three years immediately preceding this Examination.
- He/she had not passed the Third University Examination in Medicine more than three years before the Summer of the year in which the Final Medical Examination is taken, provided that, in the case of a student who has interrupted his/her medical studies at any time subsequent to passing the Third University Examination in Medicine in order to proceed to the BSc (Hons) Degree or to pursue any other non-medical programme of study approved by the College of Medicine and Health, the period of time devoted to such non-medical studies shall not be counted when computing the interval between his/her passing of the Third University Examination in Medicine and Final Medical Examination.
- He/she has taken each subject of the Final Medical Examination for the first time.
Note: These awards are funded from endowments made by the respective donors to the University for awards to be made in perpetuity. The funds donated are invested, and the annual income is the amount available for the award. Due to fluctuation in the investment market, the amounts available from year to year may vary, upwards and downwards; for this reason, the value of any award referred to in this section is indicative only, and may be higher or lower when the amount of the award is completed.