The R.G.G. Barry Prize in Paediatrics
At a glance
- Value: €1,000
- You must be a current UCC Student to be eligible for this prize
- Questions about this scholarship can be directed to email@example.com
The friends, past students and admirers of Dr. R.G.G. Barry, MD, FRCP, FRCPI, DCH, who was first Professor of Paediatrics from 1970-1977, subscribed a fund for the provision of an annual prize (currently c. €1,000) to be known as "The R.G.G. Barry Prize in Paediatrics". The prize is awarded to the candidate who has obtained the highest marks in Paediatrics at the Final Medical Examination, the award being made by the Extern Examiner in the Department of Paediatrics and Child Health provided that:
- The Academic Council considers a sufficiently high standard to have been attained.
- The successful candidate has been a student in University College Cork, for the three years immediately preceding the Examination.
- He/she had not passed the Third University Examination in Medicine more than three years before the Summer of the year in which the Final Medical Examination is taken, provided that, in the case of a student who has interrupted his/her medical studies at any time subsequent to passing the Third University Examination in Medicine in order to proceed to the BSc (Hons) Degree or to pursue any other non-medical programme of study approved by the College of Medicine and Health, the period of time devoted to such non-medical studies shall not be counted when computing the interval between his/her passing of the Third University Examination in Medicine and Final Medical Examination.
- He/she has taken and passed the whole of the Final Medical Examination and has taken each subject of the examination for the first time.
Note: These awards are funded from endowments made by the respective donors to the University for awards to be made in perpetuity. The funds donated are invested, and the annual income is the amount available for the award. Due to fluctuation in the investment market, the amounts available from year to year may vary, upwards and downwards; for this reason, the value of any award referred to in this section is indicative only, and may be higher or lower when the amount of the award is completed.