The Edward Gurr Prizes
At a glance
- Value: €800
- You must be a current UCC Student to be eligible for this prize
- Questions about this prize can be directed to the Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience
Dr. Edward Gurr, PhD, FRIC, FLS, was attached to the Department of Anatomy, University College Cork, as an honourary Research Associate for a number of years. He was head of the Michrome Laboratories in London which manufacture dyestuffs used in Histology. To mark his association with the Medical School of the University, Dr. Gurr donated the sum of €1,300 for the provision of annual prizes in Histology for medical and dental students. The current value of each prize is c. €800. The following conditions were approved by the Governing Body:
- That two prizes be offered for award annually, one for competition among medical students and the other for competition among dental students.
- That each prize be called "The Edward Gurr Prize".
- That the prize for Medical students be awarded on the results of the eligible candidates in the Histology component of the First University Anatomy Prizes Examination.
- That the prize for Medical students be open to competition only among students who sit the First University Anatomy Prizes Examination, namely, those who are registered as First Year Medical students of University College Cork during the current session:
- (a) The top three students obtaining the highest histology marks in the continuous assessment exam in FM1010, FM1020, FM1030 and FM1040 and the top three students obtaining the highest histology marks in the continuous assessment exam in GM1001, GM1002, GM1003 will be invited to sit a written exam on the histological principles underlying tissue structure and its relationship to human health and disease;
- (b) The essays will be judged by a panel from the Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience and the winner will be awarded the “The Edward Gurr Prize”.
- That the prize for Dental students be open to competition only among students
- who are registered for module AN2008 as Second Year Dental students or First Non-EU Graduate-Entry Dental students of University College Cork during the current academic year;
- whose marks are among the top 10% of the class in their first attempt of the Histology Continuous Assessment in this module.
- The competition will take place annually in the form of an essay on the histological principles underlying dental and oral tissue structure and its relationship to human health and disease. The essays will be judged by a panel from the Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience and the winner will be awarded "The Edward Gurr Prize".
- That a prize be not awarded unless high merit has been shown.
- In case a prize be not awarded in any year, the income to be used for encouraging the study of histology within the Department of Anatomy in such manner as the Governing Body may prescribe.
Note: These awards are funded from endowments made by the respective donors to the University for awards to be made in perpetuity. The funds donated are invested, and the annual income is the amount available for the award. Due to fluctuation in the investment market, the amounts available from year to year may vary, upwards and downwards; for this reason, the value of any award referred to in this section is indicative only, and may be higher or lower when the amount of the award is completed.