The Donal Mccarthy Postgraduate Research Scholarship in Statistics
At a glance
- Value: €10,000
- You must be a full time postgraduate student at NUI Cork in the area of official statistics to be eligible for this scholarship
- Questions about this scholarship can be directed to the Department of Statistics or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Donal McCarthy, who was President of UCC from 1967 to 1978, was a former Director of the Central Statistics Office (CSO).
Central Statistics Office, Ireland has funded this scholarship to promote university research in the area of official statistics.
Applicants for this scholarship should have (at least) a Second Class Honours primary degree in Statistics or a related quantitative discipline, and have an interest in methodology for applications to Official Statistics (click here). Relevant topics would include survey sampling, multivariate methods, time series and small area estimation. The holder of the award will carry out research leading to the award of a postgraduate (MSc or PhD) degree. The scholarship is funded by the Central Statistics Office (CSO). Opportunities will be provided to work on data from on-going projects of current interest to the CSO.
The scholarship shall be subject to the following conditions of award and tenure:
- The award shall be known as "The Donal McCarthy Postgraduate Research Scholarship in Statistics".
- The scholarship, which is currently valued at c. €10,000 is tenable at NUI, Cork, and is awarded to support full-time postgraduate studies in the area of official statistics.
- The holder of the scholarship shall pursue research under the general direction of the Head of the Department of Statistics.
- The holder of the scholarship shall be required to register for a higher degree (MSc or PhD).
- The scholarship shall be tenable generally for one academic year, but may, subject to satisfactory progress, be extended for a maximum of three years.
- A competition for the scholarship shall take place each year, with an application for renewal being considered together with applications from other candidates. Applications, comprising a curriculum vitae and the name of two referees, must be submitted to the Head of the Department of Statistics by 31st August each year.
- The applications shall be considered by a Board comprising members of the Statistics Department and the Central Statistics Office. The award shall be made by the Academic Council on the recommendation of this Council.
This Scholarship will be paid monthly via payroll over the academic session.